[OT] Freezer Question

I couldn't find the 'alt.hvacr' newsgroup and I'm sure somebody here has a good answer to this. Whether or not that answer gets posted has yet to be seen but I'll take a chance. :)
I've got a four year old 21 cubic foot freezer and I'm contemplating getting a larger one to replace it. My question is, would it harm or shorten the life of a freezer (or refrigerator) if it were to sit for a few years (say 3-5) without power? I'd like to pass it on to one of my kids when they need one but it would piss me off if it started having problems shortly thereafter because I let it sit unused for while.
Or would I be better off just selling it so somebody could get some useful life out of it?
--
Black Dragon http://improve-usenet.org

Q: How does a girl know she\'s sleeping with a Computer Scientist?
It will be fine, as long as you clean it, store it upright in a dry rodent free place, and leave the door open slightly for air circulation. Check with the kids first to make sure they might have a slight interest. You don't want to store it for 3-5 years and then have them tell you they never had any interest in it.