opinions

Been working on a chiller fixing leaks with 5 six cly Carlyle's on it. O6EF's 299 310 compressors pretty good size. Pulled the top head off number two compressor to replace a leaking gasket and my spider senses started tingling so I pulled the head off of the left bank. The valves were broken and the tops of the pistons were pretty mealed up. Tomorrow Im going to pull the other head and insp the valve plate on that side, roll it over and insp the cylinders and check to make sure no rods are broken and do the same for number one. They are in tandem and for the first stage. The other three compressors are for second stage. Last summer I guess they were always pumping ref to the old gal because of all the leaks and im thinking who ever did it slugged them with liquid and as you know these compressors dont tolerate much abuse and thats what took out the valves.
My question is if the cylinder walls look ok and no rods are broken and it rolls over ok would I be ok just replacing the valve plate? I think it would be ok. What do you think.
On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 17:24:23 -0400, The King

    chewing valve bits will tend to do that ....

    Thought about adding check valves ?

    If it ain't broke .....
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 18:01:59 -0400, .p.jm.@see_my_sig_for_address.com wrote:

There are LLSV's on each circuit. Got to make sure the CCH's are working once I get it to that point. There are checks in the discharge lines up stream of the mufflers.

That's what I was thinking.
On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 18:52:08 -0400, The King

    I'd watch the back at startup, see if there's a need for CPR's.
    Just saying ....... unliikely, I know, but I don't know what app it's in.
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 21:38:48 -0400, .p.jm.@see_my_sig_for_address.com wrote:

DX comfort cooling. Split system, air cooled condenser. Typical shit nothing special. Yeah, Ill be watching SH and back very carefully on start up, Once I pump in almost 500 lbs of 22 that is...
On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 21:44:22 -0400, The King

    Hell, Stormy did that on a 4 ton Trane split once :-)
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 22:05:02 -0400, .p.jm.@see_my_sig_for_address.com wrote:

So he's the one who killed Snowball!
On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 22:25:22 -0400, The King

    May it rust in piece(s) :-(
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 18:01:59 -0400, .p.jm.@see_my_sig_for_address.com wrote:

fine. No broken rods on no. 2. Slight scoring of the walls but nothing major. The customer said run it. Got the system leak free, well tight as they say put the pump on second stage compressors 3,4,&5, and it pulled down to 400 microns in 8 hours, Got the pump on 1st stage comps 1 & 2 going to let run overnight and hopefully start charging the old bitch in the morning. I recovered 250lbs of refrigerant and the system requires approx. 485lbs, Im going to try and talk the customer out of re using the recovered refrigerant because I dont trust it. It leaked like hell all last year so im told and I dont know for sure what condition its condition is in. Im sure cost is going to be a factor. I have a week and a half in on this job so far and my knees are talkin to me. :(
---