open flood gates??

Page 2 of 2
On 10/23/2010 8:22 AM, Steve wrote:

I generally recommend folks get their AC cleaned and checked once a year and their heat pump cleaned and checked twice a year. Some want their furnace checked out in the Fall which is a good idea if they're worried about it. I always stress to them to keep those filters changed and in the Summer, turn off the AC when you're cutting the grass. Keep Fluffy the cute little Malamute away from the condensing unit if he likes to curl up and sleep around it and never let him pee on the damn thing!
TDD

Forgot to address this part.
I don't do free "estimates" for repairs. *EVERYBODY* pays the service call fee at a minimum. That gets me there and gets the initial system diagnosis. The customer is then shown what is required to make the system perform as it was designed to, and is shown what the repairs will cost from my price book. If they wish for me to make the repairs, they sign and date the service order to authorize the work. If they don't, then I collect my service call fee and go on my way. If their existing system is a POS, or is "Jurassic", I will suggest that they start putting money back to replace the system because they don't last forever. I have several printed hand-outs that I give them and websites that I suggest they visit to further educate themselves about the benifits of a new system. that way *I* am not telling them, I am giving them the sources for them to do their own homework, and educate themselves about their system. That way, They are making their own informed decissions and I am not as Paul would suggest, like a used car salesman.

    Of course. So ?

    No, you are A ) a repair tech, and B ) a NEW car salesman.
    And, just like a car salesman is GLAD to talk to you and show you new cars etc, without you promising to buy from him, when someone calls and says 'I need a new system, can you come and give me an estimate ?', you do it - FOR FREE. Part of the work included in your price is the load calc you will do IF they sign for your system ( or sign to purchase that work by itself, if you offer it, at whatever price you offer ).
    And during your contact with them, you DO educate them about a variety of things ( be it your various offerings and the differences between them, or the importance of correct sizing and correct installation, whatever ).
    And you DO give them prices, and they ARE free ( and likely ) to have some other contractors come in and give THEIR prices as well. And you don't charge them for the opportunity to present your systems and options.
    And BTW, I got out because I decided the work was too freaking hard. Especially since I never did resi, which is much easier. I got tired of climbing 30 ' ladders in the sun in 98 degree humid weather, I got tired of shovelling a path to the unit across the roof in the middle of winter, carrying hundreds of pounds of tools, equipment, and parts around, getting called out in the middle of the night, etc, etc.
    So, now, I sit here at home and get anywhere from $ 35 TO $ 70 / hour to type at this here 'computer' thingy, at whatever hours I choose.
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
On 10/23/2010 9:42 AM, .p.jm.@see_my_sig_for_address.com wrote:

Sounds like a cushy job, who's paying for you to sit on your tush? 8-)
TDD
On Sat, 23 Oct 2010 23:51:40 -0500, The Daring Dufas

    A ) It is, and B ) Yeh, like I'm really gonna name my clients in THIS forum ! ;-)
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
On 10/23/2010 8:43 AM, Steve wrote:

I use the example of someone going to see a physician. If the doctor tells you that you're going to die, you still have to pay the bill. All those tests and time for diagnostics cost money.
TDD
On Sat, 23 Oct 2010 23:49:34 -0500, The Daring Dufas

    not if you die soon enough ;-)

www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
On Sat, 23 Oct 2010 00:14:30 -0500, The Daring Dufas

    So, if someone tells you they're getting three bids for a job ( very common ), you tell them 'I don't work that way' ?

    He's one of a very few legit contractors in a tiny little backwoods whistle-stop area, he doesn't HAVE a lot of competition ( except Julio and Juan Inc ).

www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

give them the information, and a proposal. if they want to shop around thats their privelage, but I am not going to lower my prices.

    I never said you should.
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

    Bullshit. I didn't say ' I want the lowest rate out there', I said ' I want to know what I'm paying for'. Big difference. And my RIGHT as a consumer. And your OBLIGATION as a vendor and service supplier.

    My questions above come BEFORE I agree to anything. Afterwords, it's kinda pointless.

    Don't even go there. Remember, I know your history. and you KNOW I do.
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

My obligation is to provide the very best top quality service to my customers. And you will know exactly what the repairs will cost *BEFORE* I start work. I do not break out anything for anybody. But then your wouldn't bitch about the lawyer that charges $300 for a 3 cent piece of paper and expect him to break out his prices..... OTOH, maybe you would.
Your right as a consumer is to call anybody you want to come service/repair your heating and cooling system. I don't have a problem with firing a customer either.

Its taken me 15 years to get where I am now. I have recieved a lot of help from a lot of people (including you) to get to this point, not just in the technical aspects, but in the business aspects. As I said before, I am in business to provide my customers the very best service, and to make a profit.

    You're damn skippy I would ! And lawyers DO itemize their invoices, BTW. They detail the hours spent, on what issue or piece of paper, etc. As well as 'costs' of copies ( whcih apparently cost $ 3 / page on their special machine ), phone calls, para-legal time ( and billing rate ), etc.
    If their billing rate is $ 300 / hour, they so state.
    And if, as they're driving to the airport for their flight to the Bahamas for the weekend, they happen to think 'Oh, shit, I was supposed to call Steve', they charge you an extra 15 mionuts just for thinking about you. If they actually CALL, or have their secretary call, that's extra. Of course, that call from the secretary only costs you $ 150 / hour, in 15 minute increments, rounded up ....

    Fine.
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
On 10/22/2010 10:26 AM, Steve wrote:

BWAHAhahahahahaha!