Oklahoma furnace request for help

A friend of mine writes this:

I live in a two story raised ranch. I have a Carrier furnae in the cellar, it's natural gas. I have the thermostat all the way to the hottest, and I even tried another thermostat. The furnace does nothing. Doesn't hum, and the gas valve doesn't click. The inducer doesn't come on. The house is getting cold.

What could be my problem? Signed, "getting cold in Oklahoma"

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That's easy. Your furnace is not working. Let me know if you need any more help.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

He is lucky to even have electricity. We have been without power since Monday morning.

Reply to
Jim Rusling

Everyone knows you need to replace the thermost at least 4 times before you get one that works right. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

All joking aside - You need electricity and gas-- Then you need a flame ignition - pilot light or electronic spark. Then if the thermostat call for heat, the main burner kicks on with flame ignition With the main burner on, the heat exchanger heats up to a pre-set amount, and finally a relay kicks in and eclectic power is applied to the fan motor.

Several things can go wrong, mostly around the safety feature(s) that the main gas valve has to prevent it from opening with no main burner ignition. Trust me; safety features you don't want to bypass.

Your post focused on thermostat, which is (are) mostly reliable these days. No information on your fault isolation on electric power, or pilot light (electronic spark?) ignition.

The worst fault to find in your case might be a broken thermostat wire between the furnace and the thermostat. Any remodeling last summer? This is a very remote chance. I think it is pilot light, or electricity.

Reply to
Phil-In-Mich.

Liar you have no friends--oh and quit killing my grandkids kittens you f****ng asshole.

Jeffry Lebowski

Where should she send your fee?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Electricity? Electricity? Why would a gas furnace need electricity?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yeah, yah. Is that your best shot? Why don't you be creative, and mention my testicles or something? Oh, no, I guess that's old, too. I guess you could mention my religion, no, well, that's been done.

Maybe you better stick to kitten insults. They are relatively easy. Anyhow, you're welcome to flame me again.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Because mine does?

Reply to
Oren

Could be that the several semi loads of FEMA generators that passed me earlier this evening heading north towards OK haven't arrived yet...

Reply to
Pete C.

I suggest :

Jeffry Lebowski

its a sad day when troll bait brings more response's than a legitimate thread ,

"Storm>A friend of mine writes this:

Reply to
The Freon Cowboy

on a side note , was heading into work this morning and passed a convoy of utility trucks , must have been 18-20 of em heading west , pole trucks , line trucks , and several crew cabs full of guys , so hang on oklahoma , help is on the way ,