Oil Furnace

I have this oil furnace that we have been working on for about 2 weeks now. We are only trying to get this thing up and running temperary to get it through the winter and maybe next winter. The owner is a builder that bought up a bunch of land and houses that he plans on tearing down and only renting them out until then.
What we have is a old Williams Oil-o-matic (about 1959) with a 2003 Beckett burner (single pipe). The tank is located outside under ground. The last few days that we have had to go out, all we had to do it prime the pump and the furnace will run fine for about a day the we have to go out and do the same every time. Now I am thinking maybe we have a leak under ground that is causing the problem, the boss don't think so.
Has anyone had the same problem? If so, what could it be?

Sorry pal, ......A 46 yr old oil furnace (new burner or not) does not belong in any rental home. Not even if you are tearing it down tomorrow. Leak in the line, crap in the line, bad pump and a hundred other things could be causing the problem. Age isnt helping it either. Bubba
In article <1110648151.058619.49920

Dude, that is one of the most simple and reliable systems once you know what's up with them.
Your problem is most likey crud, or water in the system. IF it is crud, all you do is change the in line filter. IF it is water, then you got to get the water out. My bet is on the crud.
IF you add a return line to the tank, that will eliminate the need to "prime" the unit.
You didn't mention if you were getting soot, so I will just say you need a simple $14 filter that you can get from tru value hardware, or just the element for $4
--
http://www.fiveminutesoffame.com/forum/index.php
Get your five minutes of FAME
Five wrote:

Put a Tiger Loop in and be done with it.

--
Gov't is an association that does
violence to the rest. - Tolstoy

What does an animal have to do with HVAC? :-)
Glad to see that you are still hanging around!
kjpro
Just check in to see how the noise to signal ratio is. :)
On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 16:03:34 -0600, "kjpro" <kjpro @ no connection . com> wrote:

--
"I'm trying to make insects fly", said
Tom flippantly.

    Well, it's something you don't want to bite, that's for sure :-)
http://www.harlequinplastics.co.uk/accessories.asp
"TL0000 Tigerholm Tiger Loop
The ever-popular Tiger Loop removes residual air from the fuel, promoting enhanced boiler efficiency, cleaner combustion and a more efficient burn. The Tiger Loop also does away with the need for an undesirable return line on top outlet and wall mounted installations.
Please note that the Tiger Loop is suitable only for use with pressure jet burners. If in doubt, please contact appliance manufacturer prior to installation. "
    However, it's not a fix for a leaky oil line, IMO. The only fix is 'fix the leak'.
It's a device that gives you the benefits of a two pipe and a one pipe system with few of the negatives of either. One pipe from the tank to the Tiger Loop and two pipe between the TL and burner.
Look near the bottom for a picture on one.
http://beckwithheating.beckwith.net/Tigerloopsetup.html

--
"I'm trying to make insects fly", said
Tom flippantly.
Well, we ended up replaceing the tank and install a above ground tank.