Oil Boiler runs...then shuts off. Help!

Page 2 of 2
Oscar, you really made a mess of this one. You know how fuel oil systems supply the fuel through 3/8 soft copper, and propane comes into the house through 3/8 soft copper. Well, you coulda suggested that since propane is much more clean burning that..... use some imagination fellah.
Also, you didn't suggest the alcohol drygas stuff. Heet, or something like that.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Tried used fry oil/ www.greaseland.com

Subject: Re: Oil Boiler runs...then shuts off. Help! Date: Tuesday, October 31, 2006 4:24 PM
That is very nice advice "Buba" but tell me what the old timers did when they did not have all those nice digital gadgets, it seems to me that are far in between good techs. left out there good luck those people who will be needing them Dido

Old timers use(d) the old paper pull smoke tester, draft gauge and hi temp thermometer/pyrometer. It works, but not as accurate as the new expensive stuff..
Bubba is of course correct; eyeballing it is not too good unless you have an expert eye looking at the flame, toasting your eyes in the process. And it really is not a good job anyway, especially in checking for CO and CO2
My fucking old oil company, who got paid pretty well did a real shitty job, never really cleaned the heat exchangers (at all!). I fired them, cleaned the (Weil McClain Boiler) exchangers out with a soot saber, they were plugged almost solid, then brushed them, vacuumed the shit out of the chamber, replaced the burner with a nice Beckett AFG clean cut burner, set it up. I then got a new oil company, also with a contract for service. At least they start out with a nice, clean well running system, and I will expect them to keep it that way, and I will make sure they do. It runs sweet since last December when I did it. And that only because I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express for a week before that.
I guess I am a jerk. I just did the brakes on my wife's car and my truck today because I just can't seem to trust the places that do them. At 63, going on 64, I hope next time I will be more trusting of others. NO, I am NOT a cheap fuck either (just a stupid fuck).
Bob

and actually, I will accept the above as long as you are using the red Fyrite CO2 fluid tester. No prob with that. The eyeballing though is ridiculous. If you noticed, almost all the newer stuff for almost 10 yrs now makes it where you cant even see the flame. They dont want you eyeballing it anymore. Bubba

That was not my point but you right both of you are right having good necessary instruments always helps Dido

Alright everbody, here is update to my problem~ I got a new guy to come and check it out. He had all of the tools and ran all of the tests. He finally deduced the shutting off to be a bad transformer. He installed a new one, threw on a new Honeywell reset switch and even gave me a basic Honywell thermometer (I need to install that my self). He said the smoke is normal (for an older unit) and gets sucked up the draft flap ( not sure if that's the name). He also said I should just set the tempature at a fixed (68 or so) rate so I doesn't have to catch up so much. I had it set cool during day and late night. I also figure if it doesn't have to run so long to catch up, then it won't produce as much smoke.
Thanks for all the input. I think I found a good tech.

Smoke is NOT normal for an older unit. If it does get sucked up the barometric that helps but it needs to NOT smoke. It still needs to be adjusted properly.

You should be able to set it up or back wherever you want, including lowering it at night then turning it up in the morning. It shouldnt make any difference on how it works. (although, of course a warm chimney will draw better)

Ettttttttttttttt. Wrong!

better.......not good. Bubba
Alright everybody, here is update to my problem~ I got a new guy to come and check it out. He had all of the tools and ran all of the tests. He finally deduced the shutting off to be a bad transformer. He installed a new one, threw on a new Honeywell reset switch and even gave me a basic Honywell thermometer (I need to install that my self). He said the smoke is normal (for an older unit) and gets sucked up the draft flap ( not sure if that's the name). He also said I should just set the tempature at a fixed (68 or so) rate so I doesn't have to catch up so much. I had it set cool during day and late night. I also figure if it doesn't have to run so long to catch up, then it won't produce as much smoke.
Thanks for all the input. I think I found a good tech.