Oil Boiler runs...then shuts off. Help!

Thanks for looking! I've had a tech o my house three times now. Quick background.

1.oil delivery in august...now won't run. I figure the crap in tank got stirred up. (note to self...turn off furnace when getting delivery)

  1. Tech guy works on it. New filter/tune up. Gets it running. next day won't run

  2. Tech guy cleans nozzle... runs for about 2 weeks.

  1. I figure purchase new nozzle and replace. Runs good for a while, but have to put in new nozzle every few weeks.

  2. Has been running better, but when I run heat for first time, smokes up the room.

  1. call tech guy to clean it (he didn't want to first time). he cleans out furnace and replaces filter. Quits working next day.

  2. I replace nozzle and add some HOT oil treatment. It starts up, but shuts down after a few minutes.

So now if I hit reset it starts up and burns for a few minutes and then shuts off. If I hit reset it will start every time, but won't stay lit.

There is a small hinge in the becket where I can see the light from the flame. I watched it carefully and the pump stops running, then the flame goes out.

Reply to
K_man

One more bit of info.. The flue has not been cleaned yet this season due to business of chimney service. The tech cleaned the unit and metal pipe attached to unit.

Reply to
K_man

If you're having that much trouble with crud in the tank you need to deal with that first. You should have something like a General 1A filter canister with replaceable media at the tank. Next use something like a Garber 11BV-RK 10 micron filter before the burner. This unit comes with a vacuum gauge so you can tell when the filter needs replacing.

Start off with a good tank treatment product like STR2+. Change the filter media at the tank, replace the oil line and install the garber at the burner with new line between the Garber and the burner.

Has the tech even checked the fuel pump filter?

It sounds like you need to find a tech willing to offer you the things that will take care of this problem once and for all.

BTW, you shouldn't have to turn off the heating system when you get a fuel delivery if the tank is properly maintained and if you have at least dual filtration.

We have literally hundreds of burners out there we service annually and rarely have to come back for a plugged nozzle. Our clients pay for us to set the systems up but they have the c>Thanks for looking!

Reply to
Steve Scott

Thanks for all the input. Tonight I hit reset and it kept running. So maybe the new filter and HOT treatment have kicked in. But, lets see how long it lasts. Maybe an extra filter is a good idea.

Since it was running good tonight I turned on the heat. After about 10 minutes it starts to smoke a little. Though it is a small stream of smoke, it is enough tp stink up the utility room, so needs to be adressed. It doesn't run long enough to smoke when heating just hot water ,but running the heat will bring on the smoke.

heat element. I'm hoping it is the air intake adjustment.

The last time the oil tech was working on it , he was moving the air intake thing until the chimney was burning clean (his assistant would tell him when the smoke was light) So I'm not sure if this is correct way to adjust this or not?

If this were adjusted wrong is it possible for smoke the back up and appear to be coming from inside the unit.?

I would so rather pay the guy and not have to bother, but I've been forced to do some simple things out of necessity. I change filters ( I do have the A-1-25 canister) . Replace nozzles and clean the ceramic and electrodes. All with power off.

Thanks again!

Reply to
K_man

K_man posted for all of us...

Tried used fry oil/

Tekkie®

K_man posted for all of us...

You are taking the sport out of it.

Reply to
Tekkie®

sounds like your oil burner techs were the old AAMCO transmission TV commercial chimps. what'd his assistant do look outside at the chimney belching smoke? No Bacararach combustion analyzer?

good luck

Reply to
DIMwit

Okay, lets try this once again for all you "kids" out there that think they can play with their own oil furnace. First off, get those bozo's out of your house playing with your furnace. Next, you will need to do some searching and make some calls. You are looking for an oil service company that has a few service tools. You need one with a digital combustion efficiency analyzer. They also need to be able to read smoke. They also need to be able to read draft They also need to be able to read stack temp and ambient temp. Then after they get all that info they need to be able to analyze it all and decide what plan of action it takes to make your furnace burn efficiently and safely. Hint: Eyeballing the flame dont do chit and can cost you hundreds of dollars in excess fuel burnt. That should get you a start. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Put some STP gas treatment in it. A few gallons of gasoline will help clean out the crud...

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

:o) RLMAO

Reply to
daytona

Oscar, you really made a mess of this one. You know how fuel oil systems supply the fuel through 3/8 soft copper, and propane comes into the house through 3/8 soft copper. Well, you coulda suggested that since propane is much more clean burning that..... use some imagination fellah.

Also, you didn't suggest the alcohol drygas stuff. Heet, or something like that.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thanks Bubba, I will make a note of this.

I will say that I don't like bother the guys while they work, but I guess I need to make sure they are properly equipped. It is hard to find anyone to work on them here.

Reply to
K_man

That is very nice advice "Buba" but tell me what the old timers did when they did not have all those nice digital gadgets, it seems to me that are far in between good techs. left out there good luck those people who will be needing them Dido

Reply to
AKS

Reply to
Bubba

You dont need to bother anyone. What you need to do is find out the techs comprehension and tool availability BEFORE they ever show up. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

From: "AKS" Subject: Re: Oil Boiler runs...then shuts off. Help! Date: Tuesday, October 31, 2006 4:24 PM

That is very nice advice "Buba" but tell me what the old timers did when they did not have all those nice digital gadgets, it seems to me that are far in between good techs. left out there good luck those people who will be needing them Dido

Old timers use(d) the old paper pull smoke tester, draft gauge and hi temp thermometer/pyrometer. It works, but not as accurate as the new expensive stuff..

Bubba is of course correct; eyeballing it is not too good unless you have an expert eye looking at the flame, toasting your eyes in the process. And it really is not a good job anyway, especially in checking for CO and CO2

My f****ng old oil company, who got paid pretty well did a real shitty job, never really cleaned the heat exchangers (at all!). I fired them, cleaned the (Weil McClain Boiler) exchangers out with a soot saber, they were plugged almost solid, then brushed them, vacuumed the shit out of the chamber, replaced the burner with a nice Beckett AFG clean cut burner, set it up. I then got a new oil company, also with a contract for service. At least they start out with a nice, clean well running system, and I will expect them to keep it that way, and I will make sure they do. It runs sweet since last December when I did it. And that only because I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express for a week before that.

I guess I am a jerk. I just did the brakes on my wife's car and my truck today because I just can't seem to trust the places that do them. At 63, going on 64, I hope next time I will be more trusting of others. NO, I am NOT a cheap f*ck either (just a stupid f*ck).

Bob

Reply to
DIMwit

Bubba wrote

Hey, hey! Easy there, Bubba! If you admonish Dildo, you'll upset Nooner and Bob Piet! Then what will you do? Life won't be worth living without the acceptance of those two!! Not to mention ruffling the scales of Gofish! Ya, you might as well throw your computer in the garbage if you haven't got those pillars of light shining down on you!! LOL

Reply to
Bob_Loblaw

and actually, I will accept the above as long as you are using the red Fyrite CO2 fluid tester. No prob with that. The eyeballing though is ridiculous. If you noticed, almost all the newer stuff for almost 10 yrs now makes it where you cant even see the flame. They dont want you eyeballing it anymore. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Nah, ....anybody that knows how to do oil knows how to do it right. An oil filter and nozzle is a total waste of money if your burner efficiency isnt checked. Its easiest with the new digital stuff ALTHOUGH the old Fyrite CO2 liquid with the pump works very well. Once you've used the new digital stuff though, you'll toss that old chit in the garbage. The best part is you can adjust the burner and get an immediate new set of readings. The old hand gets a bit tired after all the bulb squeezing unless you've been working your own set of.....................ahhhh, never mind that part. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Reply to
Steve Scott