Oil Boiler flu draft regulator/damper question

SETUP:

2001 Burnham V83 Boiler oil-fired, feeding hot water to 8 cast-iron radiato= rs WW1 vintage. Mounted on top of 6 cinderblocks approx. 6=94 above baseme= nt floor, boiler is approx. 2=92 away from chimney stack. 6-7=94 diameter metal flue runs vertically about 18=94 above top of boiler = then angles horizontally, upward at 5 degree angle, towards and into chimne= y stack. Mounted on vertical section of flue is a typical draft regulator with count= er-weighted door.

QUESTION: I asked the boiler tech from my current oil supplier if he could check the = calibration of the flue regulator door based upon what I saw from the door = mfg., and he asked me why? I said because I just wanted to make sure it wa= s working properly. I told him the procedure used to take draft measuremen= ts inside the boiler and in the flue. He told me, =93Number one, this regu= lator is installed in the wrong place(3=94 above the boiler on the aforemen= tioned vertical section of flue), and number two, boilers today don=92t eve= n need regulator doors.=94 He then went on to explain that to reposition the regulator in the correct = location =96 on the horizontal section of flue =96 would cost approx. $150-=

300 in labor time alone, not to mention parts(new flue pipe & fasteners), a= nd that it was just best to leave it alone, even though the oil supplier at= that time installed it incorrectly when they put this Burnham V8 series in= . His attitude through the whole time was professional and to the point, but = instinctively I felt that technically he was incorrect. What do you all think based upon my setup and the conversation above?

-ChrisCoaster

Reply to
ckozicki

SETUP:

2001 Burnham V83 Boiler oil-fired, feeding hot water to 8 cast-iron radiators WW1 vintage. Mounted on top of 6 cinderblocks approx. 6? above basement floor, boiler is approx. 2? away from chimney stack. 6-7? diameter metal flue runs vertically about 18? above top of boiler then angles horizontally, upward at 5 degree angle, towards and into chimney stack. Mounted on vertical section of flue is a typical draft regulator with counter-weighted door.

QUESTION: I asked the boiler tech from my current oil supplier if he could check the calibration of the flue regulator door based upon what I saw from the door mfg., and he asked me why? I said because I just wanted to make sure it was working properly. I told him the procedure used to take draft measurements inside the boiler and in the flue. He told me, ?Number one, this regulator is installed in the wrong place(3? above the boiler on the aforementioned vertical section of flue), and number two, boilers today don?t even need regulator doors.? He then went on to explain that to reposition the regulator in the correct location ? on the horizontal section of flue ? would cost approx. $150-300 in labor time alone, not to mention parts(new flue pipe & fasteners), and that it was just best to leave it alone, even though the oil supplier at that time installed it incorrectly when they put this Burnham V8 series in. His attitude through the whole time was professional and to the point, but instinctively I felt that technically he was incorrect. What do you all think based upon my setup and the conversation above?

-ChrisCoaster

I think you should spend $50K - $70K, and go into business for yourself. $150 - $300 is maybe 45 minutes to an hour and a half. Keep in mind that oil suppliers are there to sell you oil, they don't care if the boiler is working right or not.

Reply to
Steve