newly installed central ac

Page 1 of 3
Hi everyone, I got my central ac installed recently. i have nearly 2K sqf 2 story house and contractor said that trane 2 1/2 ton should be enough to cool it at summer time. They also said that they guarantee 20F difference after ac is on. Well, i run it now and can't get even 5F difference in the house.. i'm just wondering what is the normal expectation from 2.5 ton unit should be? can it perform to cool down temperature till 70F when outside temperature is 80-85F? there is no icing on the pipes coming out from compressor i don't know there should be any ice at all... i'm kinda disappointed with it especially remembering that i paid $4k to install it.... Thanks D

"the contractor SAID that trane 2 1/2 ton should be enough to cool it at summer time" Lemme see. Manual J comes to mind.
"they also SAID they guarantee 20F difference after ac is on" I do hope you understand that "SAID" and "guarantee in writing" are two COMPLETLY different things.
Start with calling them back and having them see if they can get you satisfied. If that doesnt seem to work, call another independent contractor and have an analysis done (yes, you'll have to pay for that). Now you have your info on what can be expected. Bubba

Thanks for the advice, i guess i coud figure out "calling back" part myself. I do have in contract : desing temperature 70 on a 90 day for cooling.. is that what you're talking about or it's not enough? D

Whoever did the design is an idiot. Assuming that your design temp is 90 degrees, and not knowing what you design RH is, a correctly sized system should be able to *MAINTAIN* 75F at 50% RH. Its not designed to bring the house down to that at the design temp, but to maintain that temp at the design temp. That means turn the system on at the thermostat, set it for 75F, and leave it to do its job. Do not turn it off when you leave the house, do not jack the controls around, do not expect the house to go from 90F down to 75F in 20 minutes...thats just not gonna happen, turning the thermostat down further is not going to make the system work any harder, just set the thermostat and let it be.
FWIW, $4,000 had to be the lowest bidder and they put in the cheapest equipment the installer could find. Care to post make/model/serial numbers to prove me wrong??

I did run it for the day. did not turn it off and did not play with the control. as i said almost no effect. i mean i f i stay on outlet yeah it blows cold air but knowing how ac works in the office i'd say either air pressure isn't enough or it's not cold enough. i put termometer on outlet it showed 71F with 85F outside.. is that good?

hey i am not trying to prove anyone wrong.. people in this group understand my posts wrong. all i'm trying to do is to gather some info since i'm not very experienced in this house stuff...
on the contract it says Trane XB 2.5 are you saying that some of the trane models are so much better than others so makes sence discuss it with contractor? i think they would be happy to sell me more expensive unit but all i heard from them is that it's more expensive because of seer number. D

What was the temperature inside the house?? What temperature was the thermostat set at??

still waiting on the equipment info....

Then provide some info other than making it sound like your looking for something to screw the contractor so you don't have to pay the bill.

i set termostat at 75

i'm curious what are you trying to make out of it? what would the numbers tell you? anyway make is TRANE model is XB 2.5 as it says on the contract. coil thing model is: 2txcb036bc3hcaa condenser is 2ttb-svn01a-en and there is another number below it 18- ac56d1-1 is this what you're looking for?

well, if it does i can tell that it's not what i'm trying to do, besides i already paid the bill. i want to understand if that stuff i bought is capable to do what i want. the contractor said that it is and i'm not seeing it. originally i thought that home central air should be something similar to what i see in the office where it's bigger and more expensive and at home it should be less expensive not that big but doing something the same or very close. the reason i started asking around to prove if it is what people get or not...yeah instead i'm getting fingerpointed and laughed out.. heh, whatever.. D

If the thermostat is set for 75, and you have 71 degree air coming out of the vents, what is the temperature inside of the house?? IF you have 75 degrees inside, the air coming out of the vents should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 55 degrees. If you *DON"T* have this, then call the installer back and tell him/her you don't think its running correctly. Have them explain all this stuff you want to know, because we can't *SEE* if through the computer screen. Have them explain what you got and how its supposed to work and what to look for if its not running correctly. If the guy they sent out can't do this, then tell them you want the owner to come out and explain it. BTW... just because you got a Trane, doesn't mean anything.... it all has to do with the installation.

oh ok, here are some numbers, thanks. so the temperature should be somewhat around 55? did you just subtract 20 from 75? just corious, or there is some sort of table of temperatures?

i guess i understand that part. i looked up what they did, it looks ok to me. everything is sealed and coil is on top of the furnace. there are no holes or some suspecious noise or sticking out stuff.. air is stilling going through old duct system.. the only thing i can think of is that condenser is not working properly..ie does not cool enough coolant. is that possible?

I am not here to teach air conditioning 101. Do some homework, then get back to us. Start with basic electricity, then physics, thermodynamics, pneumatics, mechanical engineering, and a little metalurgy.

Looks don't mean anything... I have a customer that thought this was OK.... http://new.photos.yahoo.com/noon_air/album/576460762352202314
This is what it is supposed to look like http://new.photos.yahoo.com/noon_air/album/576460762367797999
As far as the amount of refrigerant in the system, there is no way to tell without taking the appropriate measurements to check superheat and subcooling. Yes you can have too much refrigerant just as easy as not enough.

oh you people are so hard ... that was simple question, can you tell me how you came up with that number? don't tell me you were doing complex math with several long equations to calculate that 55f... i'm not asking you teach me all that... i appreciate your input anyway. thanks

and in both cases it would not cool enough to maintain desired temperature? D

yup. Now let your fingers do the walking, call the installer, get his happy ass back to your house and have him to fix it. If *YOU* were the installer and you have just been feeding us a line of crap as so many have before you, then you are on your own. Either way, your not gonna get it fixed over the internet. Call somebody local that knows WTF their doing.

i will as soon as weekend really ends... thanks D
Djavdet wrote:

YOU asked for it!

by asking quite simple questions? looks like i identified another moron in this group.. jeez you guys really piling up in here... D
Djavdet wrote:

He did play with himself! And guess what? It's an anal thermometer (not termometer)

Right!!!!
Could be!

If I design it then you wanna take bets ?

I could design to do that, but I won't open myself or my company to the lawsuits.

Toss the cat towards the ceiling return and it gets stuck there...

HAHAHAHAHA yeah jeff can install an a/c to cool a house fdown in 20minutes.
wow jeff you look dumber and dumber by the post.
I suspect you are unemployed and just bitter. I wouldn't hire a dumbass like you if you offered to work for free.
HAHA
-Canadian Cool