New Thread (was Adware)

I know everyone was very worried about me and my adware/virus/worm blah, blah, blah but you can all rest easy now. :-) Say what you want and I ALWAYS say it. Norton (Internet Security 2006) is the biggest system hog out there BUT it found the chit hidden in my sys that none of the other garbage out there would. I tink I'll keep it. Todd H. You can be an expert at whatever you think you might be but I can tell you it AINT in the computer field!! Bubba "Bubba Certified" (in something)

Reply to
Bubba

Symantec is the Carrier of security suites. Overhyped, overpriced, and underperforming. But still you found a reason to love it.

Welcome to lemingdom. :-)

Shhh just don't tell my employer, clients, or any of those security certification bodies out there!

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Overhyped, yes. Overpriced? You havent been paying attention. Best Buy Today. $69.99 for the suite. $30 mail in rebate. Another $20 mail in rebate if you have a previous version or any competitor virus or firewall software (which I have). Now, lets do the math since you seem to be a computer dweeb but probably cant add or subtract. $69.99 Norton Internet Security 2006

-$30.00 Mail in Rebate

-$20.00 Mail in Rebate =$19.99 Total pennies spent Im not sure whose math you use but in my world that's a pretty decent deal.

No thanks. You are welcome to hang there forever if you wish.

I wont. It'll be our little secret. Now dont let the door hit you in the ass on the way outta here. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Enjoy your $20 Symantec until a year rolls around an they hit you for the subscription fee, or enjoy the fun of buying a new version and trying to gracefully get that crapware off of a system. It's good fun!

But if you're happy, Bubba, I'm happy.

Nah, being around to keep you and Pauly from being _unmitigated_ douchebags may be my donation to folks who may happen through here, or hell, just good fun.

Have a great weekend!

Best Regards,

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

I had been a Nortan fan from way back when... But as the product line expanded into a security suite, it seemed as if my computer was working more for Symantec than it was for me. On the advice from my youngest brother who holds computer degrees from NIU, I switched to Computer Associates. Lean, mean and out of the way... "Go Huskies!"

I don't think you have to be a computer wiz to know when the thing is running sluggish.

I've been homebuilding and repairng all of my computers since the days when a C-64 running a 300 baud modem was hot.... other than that, my only "qualification" is that I learned to play a Fender P in a corn crib outside of Rochelle. (Tis a small world indeed.)

Jim Hauser

Reply to
Jim Hauser

You really need to step away from the screen and drop into a store once in a while. You will find that Norton is not the most expensive. Is it the best? Of course not. None of them are. They all suck to a certain extent..........just like most of the furnaces and A/C's out there. Built to be fixed and fixed until the warranty is up. They are garbage. How the hell do you think this industry stays out there? By selling equipment and parts. Kind of just like the way Norton and all the other AV products work for a year and then you've gotta re-up.

Engineer? Nuf said. Sorry to everyone. You caught me Todd. I missed that. All my typing was in vein as we all know the thought processes of an Engineer. Have a nice life. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Todd can't wait for the next upgrade to Windows. He's about licked this version pretty good!

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

snipped-for-privacy@toddh.net (Todd H.) wrote

What's your preferred anti-virus program?

Reply to
Bob_Loblaw

Kaspersky performs well, ZoneLabs AV product is actually pretty decent. AVG Free is just okay and the price is sure right. Avast is regarded as a better free alternative though I don't have recent experience with it.

Eset Nod32 is actually what I've been installing for clients lately. It's fast, streamlined, very low overhead, and no surprises.

Some of what drives my choice for specific systems has to do with what programs they run. For instance, if a client is using Thunderbird for mail some antivirus programs handle Thunderbird mailbox format more intelligently than others. Nod32 works very well with it. When I finally gave up on the popular Symantec stuff is when it would cleverly quarantines the entire mailbox file as soon as it encounters a message with a potential threat in it which is a complete PITA.

Best Regards,

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

I have Trend Micro, recommended by my own kid, who is a systems security engineer. Then he went to work for Symantec and now I have to change to NAV. "But you told me to get Trend" I said. "Mom," he replied, "Trend doesn't sign my paycheck." At least he can buy it for me half-price.

Reply to
wendy.pugh