New Ruud heat pump question/possible problem

At around 38 and below degrees, the outside unit will heavily frost up or ice up and run continually like that for an extended period of time. Say around 1 or 2 hours before defrost mode kicks in. Its doesn't seem to do a complete job of defrosting all the time either. It will run almost continually most of night blowing out cool or room temperature air, barely keeping a degree below set temp. Aux. heat has never kicked in during defrost or otherwise. But it will, if I crank up set temp a couple degrees above original. Is there a problem with it, running constantly all night like that?
I've been getting a similar problem. My heat pump unit will blow cold air while it's in defrost mode. Most of the people on here have been very helpful while some have dissed me. They are saying there is a wire that needs to be connected in order to activate the aux heat while the unit is in defrost mode. I have not had the $$ to get a tech out here to do it, but I will soon. (Income tax time!)