New Posters, Homeowners and Spammers

I prefer this one, now just set it on "beacon" to be sent once every 24 hours

"Steve@carolinabreezehvac" wrote in message news:tIX3e.2480$ snipped-for-privacy@eagle.america.net...

Reply to
Noon-Air

Preferences aside, once a week is appropriate, not daily. That keeps it 'on spool' for any and all new posters, even those whose news servers offer short retention. Trust me on this techy detail.

That said, I liked the other better, and I think doing BOTH is appropriate, once a week each.

JMO.

Reply to
pjm

Once a week? Once an hour might do it! Of the homeowners that past here do you really think any of them took the trouble to read back a week first?? My guess is they dove in head first without reading a thing. One post an hour of the charter and FAQ might catch someone's attention! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

This is Turtle.

By the time a home owner reads the FAQ or the charter. They are burnt out and ready to call a repair man to come fix it. About 1 in a 100 is going to read it if you direct them to it anyway.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

I have a feeling a FAQ won't really make much difference.

Here is the typical thought process of a HO (i.e.: me):

step 1 - "I have an HVAC issue. I'll ask an expert"

step 2 - search for "hvac" in newsgoups

step 3 - subscribe to the logical choice, "alt.hvac"

step 4 - post the question

step 5 - get instant flame by pjm autoresponder

step 6 - either begrudgingly "take it to alt.home.repair (not here)" (which is counter intuitave) or get in a fight here (and likely get your question answered by someone anyway)

If you REALLY want a pros-only group, maybe consider a new one, naming it something which doesn't even have HVAC in it, to obfuscate it from us HOs. alt.heat-vent-ac-pros or something?

Reply to
John Harlow

Bullshit. Telling them 'post in alt.home.repair' is not 'flaming' anyone.

That would be their little problem, wouldn't it ?

IOW , - A ) get pissy about it and THEN get flamed, and B ) have some hack like Weasel / Davey / Stormy give you a wrong answer.

I thought you HO's wanted educating ? Well, here's lesson # 1 for y'all -

Post in alt.,home.repair, not here.

And no, the answer is not 'Everyone else move out so you can move in'. That might be easy, convenient, and 'intuitive' for you, but it ain't gonna happen.

Go start YOUR NEW NEWSGROUP, don't try to claim squatters rights to THIS ONE, you don't have any.

Reply to
pjm

I can see why you disagree but it comes off as "piss off" to me; a type of flame.

I'm just trying to supply a little possibly helpful insite. It's worth what you paid for it ;)

Maybe a link to a FAQ would help eliminate us hothead HO replies.

Reply to
John Harlow