new coil or new compressor or both?

Page 2 of 2

Replace the entire system and be done with it.
On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 09:20:56 -0700, blackburnjohn wrote:

I wasn't going to get into this because it sounds like you're getting good advice to change both units but there is an alternative. I'm at the beach & its very common to change the condenser only because of coil corrosion since the air handler will outlast two or three of them. It's not uncommon to find a reasonably new condenser with a bad air handler coil that needs replaced. Goodman & Amana use the same Air Handler/coil for both their 13 SEER R22 & R410A units. I haven't had to convert one to 410A yet but there is an ARI match for them. So for people eking by & trying to save it is an option though with a 15 year old condenser I would not recommend it.