Need to replace Electric Baseboard Heating Units & Replacement Windows

Page 2 of 6

Heat Pump with electric backup.
For many reasons... helps out during the defrost cycle and can be cheaper than burning straight gas. Of coarse, one would do a manual J and a cost analysis to find out. :-)

I think you're dillusional. It is a fact of life that most areas of the country burn natural gas to produce electricity.
It is also a fact of life that electric utilities NEVER decrease the price they charge for electricity, however natural gas prices DO flucuate, depending upon supply & demand.
your 'cost analysis' is effective for one specific point in time.
tell us what your spread sheet cost analysis says about a cord of wood (and the resulting btu's generated to split it into pieces small enough to burn) :)

Not every power company burns natural gas... try COAL.

Name one natural gas company that gives you a volume discount. Meaning the more you use the cheaper each tier gets.

Screw that shit... I would never burn wood!!!
But if you want a cost analysis on wood... give me your price per cord. :-)
I can't speak to other areas of the country, but both gas and electricity rates are reduced to residential customers. Of course, electricity here is $0.15/kwh so a little discount doesn't really have any impact.

--
Cat fur expands to fill all available
drives.

FWIW, Baltimore BGE produces most of its electricity using nuclear and coal w/ a very very small amount produced using gas. Deregulated utilities such as BGE make very big bucks producing electricity using NG because they base all of their production costs on the highest cost i.e., NG. I'm moving more of my investment portfolio into deregulated utilities - what a cash cow they are.
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

What's wrong with propane wall heaters for emergency backup, or even a nice woodstove?
--
Steve Spence
Dir., Green Trust

As in my other reply, there are many ways to provide emergency heat without electric. But in most cases, these are inefficient and compromise your comfort.
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

I disagree. In many areas, electric is expensive, and in our case not even available. Wood heat is very comfortable, and so is propane. Propane is very efficient (ventless). Wood is only a bit less with some burners (http://woodboilers.com /)
--
Steve Spence
Dir., Green Trust

Ok, this discussion is way off the original track... BUT
Electric isn't expensive EVERYWHERE. Especially when you use it to operate a Heat Pump.
Wood heat isn't for MOST people as it's very labor intensive and requires time that some people don't have. Or a schedule to accommodate one either.
Then you want to talk about VENTLESS LP heaters....... WHAT A JOKE!!!!! Ever heard of Carbon Monoxide??
You do know CO kills RIGHT??
You do know, you don't use VENTLESS heaters as a primary source of heat, RIGHT?
So to make it plain and simple... you can take those VENTLESS heaters and... well, you get the point.

Kenny, you really need to expand your horizons. I can think of thousands of installations of ventless gas fired heaters used as the primary (and only) source of heating.
when you limit yourself to what you personally have seen or know first hand, you're severly limiting your horizons, especially if all you've experienced is residential applications. Sad.

Are we or are we not talking residential systems here?

when you make broad, general statements as above, perhaps you should qualify them.
As I said in an earlier post, MOST utilities burn nat gas to create electricity, fully acknowledging (but not saying) SOME utilities burn coal.
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

Ok, so you don't know much about propane heaters. I have a CO detector. It's never measured anythimg above 0 with two propane fridges, a propane cookstove, propane dryer, and propane water heater. The only time it squawked was when the kids fired up the gas genny in the attached garage (measured 95). Propane stoves do not give off CO.
Our primary heat is wood. It's a pleasure, not a chore, and it's very inexpensive. $450 / year.
--
Steve Spence
Dir., Green Trust

You DID NOT just say a propane cookstove doesn't give off CO?????????????????????????
Isn't your water heater vented? Guess what... there's CO going out the flu!!
What brand and model CO Detector do you own? How much did you pay for it? Where did you purchase it?
A quality meter is $200 plus... and not sold in most large retail "chain" stores.
I know quite a bit about LP (Liquified Protroleum) Propane... R-290
Now I suggect that you go read up on the appliances in your home that you know nothing about.

You do realize that burning WOOD creates CO? Or did you assume it was vented to remove the smoke?

Gentlemen all gases can kill person it depend on concentration of that gas in the area you are in and when I said all I mean it all the worst are does that person can't smell are test I lived till I was 15 years old that we had only wood to heat are cook I also lived in bayou country of Louisiana for 7 years where we had open heating heaters power it by propane and I never hear from anyone dieing from CO however precautions must be taking there is the way to add oxygen to the rooms heaters are use for absorbing the CO I can't say which terminology you wish to use it does not make difference as long it comes out to same thing reduction of CO safe for personal living
Dido say that

We don't live in barns no more.
We also have indoor plumbing.
CO has many effects whether you realize it's happening to you or not.

That's because you can barely read or write.

Bullshit! Tell us what appliances absorb CO to make a room safe! From the look of your posts, I'd say your suffering from oxygen deprivation right now! Breathe deeper...
--
Respectfully, Bob

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

gas company measured 13 ppm using the air-free method.
The CO emitted from a woodstove goes up the chimney, not into a house.
--
Steve Spence
Dir., Green Trust

If a propane burner can burn so clean....... WHY ARE THEY VENTED?????????
And while we are on it... WHY ARE THEY NOT 100% EFFICIENT?????????
Get a clue man, you're DANGEROUS!!!!!
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

Not all propane appliances are vented. Cooking ranges, fireplaces, and others are designed that way. Spreading misinformation is dangerous, but then you seem to know more than the manufacturers. A non-vented propane fireplace is 100% efficient, since none of the heat goes up a chimney.
--
Steve Spence
Dir., Green Trust