Need help diagnosing problem with A/C

Page 2 of 2

"But apply some coil cleaner, and the amps came down."
You stupid mormun mother-fucker.
If you PISSED on the condenser the amps would come down.
You have to be a troll. No one can actually BE so fucking dumb.

Add another 10 lbs of refrigerant. I dont think you quite have enough liquid in the system yet .Once you get liquid spewing back out of the suction service port, you are getting close. After you straighten that out, then you can go electrical hunting to iron out the rest of the problems. Bubba
Thanks again for everyone's input. Tonite I just got home and tried to fire it up again. It came on and worked for about 10 minutes. After that, sounds of sputtering and banging started coming from the external unit. It sounds like a car sputtering (with a loud backfire thrown in every once in a while), as if the compressor was cutting in and out very rapidly.
The sputtering occurs in short bursts, like a quick flutter. Every once in a while, it make a loud bank (as I've described in other posts, like someone kicking the side of the unit).
Eventually, the compressor and the fan just stop.
At that point, I shut off the A/C at the thermostat and try it again. Almost immediately started making the same sputtering as before.
Ken
tivolo wrote:

So when is the *real* tech suposed to be there??

A tech from the company that installed the A/C is scheduled for Aug 9, but I'm hoping to find someone who can get here sooner.
Noon-Air wrote:

Where are you? Maybe we can send Milligan, or someone like that?
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I think Paul Milligan is closer than I am. Cause I'm in NY.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Well, that alone could account for the high amps, as the unit is rated @95 degrees. If I could see it from here, I would do a couple of things: jump the red to the yellow at the furnace, thus eliminating the possibility of bad LV wiring
If that didn't change the results, I think I would take a very close look at any limit switches in the furnace- most of them will interupt the LV which would cause all your symptoms- the furnace is designed to kick the high speed blower on when the limit opens- I have seen many limits fail to the point of a light tap causing them to open?close with no temp fluctuation.When the LV drops out, the condensor no longer has power to the contactor coil, thus it shuts down, the fan kicks into high speed and stays there til the limit once again closes. The loud banging and chattering sound like the connection is opening and closing at a high rate of speed. A short in the LV wiring could possibly cause some similar actions, but most furnaces today have fuses in the circuit board that will not tolerate much of a short.
Thanks for that reply, Eric -- that's very useful information. I'll try jumping the R and Y at the furnace and see if that makes a difference. Beyond that, I mainly just want to pass on these ideas to the tech that comes out to hopefully get him on the right path to fixing the problem.
Thanks again - Ken
Eric Houkal wrote:

At this point, I wonder if there are any real techs in his part of the world?
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Are there any on your comet?
--
Respectfully, Bob

That's asteroid, not coment. Only Jehovas Witnesses live on comets. Heck, if you have to reveal our inner secrets, at least get it right!
Of course, I could be having a hot, tired, silly day.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Counting you there are exactly zero.
PS- Does the expression, "snuggle up to a dog's nut", have any personal meaning for you?

ken, here's a fact you probably dont know.........
the air conditioner is the only appliance on the planet that when it's broke, it is NOT TURNED OFF !!!!
keep futzing with it and you better start budgeting for a new condensing unit.
want more help? post the model & serial numbers of the indoor equipment as well as the outdoor equipment.