Need help diagnosing problem with A/C

"Moe Jones" wrote in news:44c6b95e$0$2769$ snipped-for-privacy@news.hal-pc.org:

A limit automatically kicks a fan to high speed when it's tripped.

Reply to
Bob_Loblaw

"Moe Jones" wrote

24 volts is 24 volts. The system doesn't care where it comes from. But jumpering only the Y won't bring the fan on.
Reply to
Bob_Loblaw

"tivolo" wrote

Aug. 7th!!?? Where do you live? Christ! I could walk to your house by then,regardless of where you live!

Reply to
Bob_Loblaw

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:PzAxg.5268$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyroc.rr.com:

Are there any on your comet?

Reply to
Bob_Loblaw

ken, here's a fact you probably dont know.........

the air conditioner is the only appliance on the planet that when it's broke, it is NOT TURNED OFF !!!!

keep futzing with it and you better start budgeting for a new condensing unit.

want more help? post the model & serial numbers of the indoor equipment as well as the outdoor equipment.

Reply to
gofish

When I jumpered the Y only, the condensor kicked on and 30 seconds later the blower came on. The sub-base doesn't appear to be anything more than wire connected to a set of contacts for the pins from the t/stat.

When it gets into its final state of blower at high speed with the condensor off, removing the jumper has no effect -- blower keeps going. One other interesting note: in the times when the condensor has been running, I've never heard the blower running at high speed. It only gets to that level when the condensor goes out.

Ken

Bob_Loblaw wrote:

Reply to
tivolo

I'm in the San Fran Bay Area. We generally only use the A/C a few times a year on really hot (95+ days). But the past week has been 100+ with Sat. reaching 112 and Sunday reaching 116, so the A/C techs are swamped.

Ken

Storm> Where are you? Maybe we can send Milligan, or someone like that? >

Reply to
tivolo

I think Paul Milligan is closer than I am. Cause I'm in NY.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Well, that alone could account for the high amps, as the unit is rated @95 degrees. If I could see it from here, I would do a couple of things: jump the red to the yellow at the furnace, thus eliminating the possibility of bad LV wiring

If that didn't change the results, I think I would take a very close look at any limit switches in the furnace- most of them will interupt the LV which would cause all your symptoms- the furnace is designed to kick the high speed blower on when the limit opens- I have seen many limits fail to the point of a light tap causing them to open?close with no temp fluctuation.When the LV drops out, the condensor no longer has power to the contactor coil, thus it shuts down, the fan kicks into high speed and stays there til the limit once again closes. The loud banging and chattering sound like the connection is opening and closing at a high rate of speed. A short in the LV wiring could possibly cause some similar actions, but most furnaces today have fuses in the circuit board that will not tolerate much of a short.

Reply to
Eric Houkal

True, but when he wrote RH it just should me he didn't know what he was doing and didn't want him to do any thing that might damage his system.

Anyway he got retail help coming.

Reply to
Moe Jones

That's asteroid, not coment. Only Jehovas Witnesses live on comets. Heck, if you have to reveal our inner secrets, at least get it right!

Of course, I could be having a hot, tired, silly day.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"But apply some coil cleaner, and the amps came down."

You stupid mormun mother-fucker.

If you PISSED on the condenser the amps would come down.

You have to be a troll. No one can actually BE so f****ng dumb.

Reply to
B-Hate-Me

Counting you there are exactly zero.

PS- Does the expression, "snuggle up to a dog's nut", have any personal meaning for you?

Reply to
B-Hate-Me

Thanks for that reply, Eric -- that's very useful information. I'll try jumping the R and Y at the furnace and see if that makes a difference. Beyond that, I mainly just want to pass on these ideas to the tech that comes out to hopefully get him on the right path to fixing the problem.

Thanks again - Ken

Eric Houkal wrote:

Reply to
tivolo

That's a recipe for low on freon. Several years old, and not been serviced.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon