need advice... energy management

I'm new to this world. My furnace technician suggested I think about an energy management system for my domestic oil-fired boiler. He says it works by sensing the outside temperature and then adjusting the boiler temp required to heat the house.. eg. if it's -10* out then the boiler goes ahead and makes 200* water for the radiators. If it's only

40* out, then the boiler only heats the water to, say, 160*. Theoretically, less oil use. Does anyone know this kind of system? Does it work to reduce fuel use? System is oil-fired hot-water radiator system in a 3,000 sq. foot house.
Reply to
thodgkin

We're installing a new system similar to this for a client right now. What they're talking about is called an outdoor reset control.

Yes, they generally will help reduce the fuel bill.

Reply to
Steve Scott

above is digital, simple and rather inexpensive. No matter what you use, dont think the utility company will be paying you or your oil consumption will be cut in half. Energy is expensive. This is merely a means to help control it. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Steve Scott top posted:

whats the installation costs versus the energy savings?

what is the estimated payback? 20-30 years?

Reply to
gofish

To be honest, Fish, I don't promote it as an energy saver in most applications, although it is. There are just too many variables, degree days, occupants, occupant usage of the home, DHW usage, etc. The margin simply isn't enough to spend in a big debate with the HO as to whether it saved them $$$ or not.

I promote the comfort realized from the system. Constant circulation with heat loss of the home matched by system output. Particularly if the emitters are panel radiators with TRVs.

But to your question of payback. I'd say if you had panel rads with TRVs and no reset control and then installed a reset control AND everything else stayed the same 5-10% savings wouldn't be unreasonable to expect. Around here average size house with gas or fuel oil 5-10 years probably. LP is about 30-50% more so the payback would be sooner. But the comfort is really where it's at.

You d> Steve Scott top posted:

Reply to
Steve Scott

Get a SmartStat. These are the world's best thermostats. They have automatically-adjusting anticipators.

Oscar_Lives

Oscar_Lives

theres absolutely nothing wrong with selling comfort, esp to the clients who expect nothing less. too often we get too wrapped up in terms of 'payback'. Around here, whats the payback on a new Lamborgini versus the run of the mill mercedes....I guess payback is the Babes & WoW factor....

yeah, we use heating here.....but not much so far this yr. right now its 9pm and its warmer outside than it is inside. today was 85.

dont get me wrong, we get snow here too. I know guys who go surfin in the morning and are skiing or snow boarding in the afternoon.

Reply to
gofish

Thank you guys -- esp Bubba and Steve Scott. One more question: how much should such a modification/system cost? My furnace tech says $1600 for the whole thing installed. Is this reasonable -- or is he working off his boat payments? I'm in NW Connecticut.

Reply to
thodgkin

There are many different outdoor reset controls, both in brand and function. There are some we would install for less and others we would charge more for.

The problem with ask>Thank you guys -- esp Bubba and Steve Scott. One more question: how

Reply to
Steve Scott