Need a new water heater- got any recommendations?

Fuckers are expensive. Damn- what used to be $250 for a 50 gallon heater are now $550+
11-year old POS rusted through- is seeping now.

And if you are looking at a gas heater, you get to deal with flame arrestor burners.
What's that you ask? They enclose the burner within the heater and require that the combustion air get to the burner through a honeycomb like screen. While this does make it harder for the burner to ignite any flammable vapors if the water heater were located in a garage, it also makes the heater very susecptibe to dust clogging the screen. So, every 6 months or so the oxygen safety trips and you get to brush/vac the screen.
Your nanny state government looking after you.
Aside from that, there are like four comapnies in the US who actually build water heaters these days, regardless of what brand name they carry. The only essential difference between the various warranty levels is the price - you are buying an insurance policy, so you're better off sticking to a standard warranty unit.
Some heaters come with a whirlpool style dip tube that purportedly keeps mineral deposits off the bottom. I certainly wouldn't pay any more for that feature.If it does do anything, as soon as the water flow stops the deposits settle back down to the bottom anyway. Better to follow the recommended drain schedule.
"Robert Neville" wrote in message wrote:

And if you are looking at a gas heater, you get to deal with flame arrestor burners.
What's that you ask? They enclose the burner within the heater and require that the combustion air get to the burner through a honeycomb like screen. While this does make it harder for the burner to ignite any flammable vapors if the water heater were located in a garage, it also makes the heater very susecptibe to dust clogging the screen. So, every 6 months or so the oxygen safety trips and you get to brush/vac the screen.
Your nanny state government looking after you.
What if I cut the honeycomb screen out? Will it work then?

As far as I know, that should take care of the problem.
"Robert Neville" wrote in message wrote:

As far as I know, that should take care of the problem.
PROBLEM SOLVED!

Mission Accomplished!