Natural Gas HVAC

Page 3 of 3
On 5/28/2012 9:06 AM, snipped-for-privacy@truthonly.com.Sword of Baal wrote:

Yawn....Damned but you are a lazy boring twit. Probably a poofter to boot. ;-p

"PaxPerPoten" wrote in message

Yawn....Damned but you are a lazy boring twit. Probably a poofter to boot. ;-p
Once again that filter cleaner cannot prove his point.
C'mon big mouth post numbers and a URL showing that a domestic absorption air conditioning unit is super cheap to run, cheaper that an electric unit.
You made the statement, now prove it.
On 4/13/2012 11:18 PM, W wrote:

The Gas company used to sell N.Gas Central air. very expensive today to purchase.

I wonder about using a NG generator, to produce the electric to run the system?
With natural gas pricing getting so low and looking to stay below $3 per Mcf for a long time, has anyone managed to come up with a good HVAC system run by natural gas? I am aware of hybrid systems used for the furnace, where a controller switches between a heat pump and natural gas furnace, depending on outside temperature and whether gas or electrical is cheaper. I am asking about using natural gas as the fuel for the cooling system.

The problem with that approach is you will have an engine running 24x7. Most generators are designed for short term usage. Once you cycle up to long duty cycles you are looking at turbine systems, and those are hellishly expensive for residential use.

> "W" < snipped-for-privacy@spamarrest.com> wrote in message
> news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...
Is there no such thing as a natural-gas-powered A/C compressor?
It could double as a low-power electrical generator during blackouts?
Honda made something like this for the residential market in northern Japan a few years ago. I think perhaps that was just a furnace with small electrical generator.
"HVAC Guy" wrote in message

BTW if anyone is thinking of a generator to operate an air conditioning compressor, remember that you will need a much larger generator than the one that can supply the running current of the compressor, the thing you must also look at is the starting current required of the compressor.
If the generator is not large enough to supply the starting current it can stall, or slow right down and supply low voltage power to the compressor.
The compressor will not like that.
On top of that generators are not cheap to run.