Natural Gas HVAC

Page 2 of 3

"HVAC Guy" wrote in message of Baal wrote:

I have never seen one.
This replay that may concern any one, in regard to operate AC compressor it depend how compressor is set up, if it happen to be belt driving you can use any motor power by NAT, gasoline or diesel it depend what you want and what you looking for, many years ago in 50s I got acquainted with natural gas and absorption Refrigerators and at that time I did not know what "F" I was looking at but when you need something you get to learn hard way by doing and some time dangerous stupid things that I would not care to do it again. Question is if AC compressors can be powered by nat-gas hell yes "but do you really want that"
of Baal wrote:

On 5/9/2012 7:16 PM, grumpy wrote:

Years ago I worked on a multi door cooler for a convenience store that was an open drive R12 unit using a Ford automotive AC compressor. I think those old compressors were manufactured by BorgWarner. It was identical to what was under the hood of Ford vehicles at the time and it worked very well. Oh yea, it used a conventional single phase electric motor that was either 3 or 5 horse power I don't think it was home made either. ^_^
TDD

Many things was done doing years and some places still is.
grumpy top-poasted in fractured english:

Yes, I'd want to do it if the cost of running a compressor with natural gas is cheaper than electricity.
Nat-gas is at ridiculously low prices today. Electricity is exactly the opposite.

The problem with using a natural gas motor to drive a compressor is it is very mechanical and would break often. You substitute lower energy costs (if any) for increased maintenance.

That was my premise for starting this thread. Where I am so far on this is that the natural gas chiller technologies like Robur - while low-maintenance and very reliable - are probably much less efficient than a modern electric mini-split design. I could not find a SEER rating for the air heat pump natural gas Robur unit, but figure maybe 17 SEER versus something around 23 to 25 for a Mitsubishi mini-split.
How much cheaper is natural gas than electric, once you add back all of the regulatory fees that utilities usually add to the raw gas costs? Is it cheaper enough to overcome the loss of efficiency?

"grumpy" wrote in message

Of course you can drive an open (direct or belt driven) compressor with any motive power as you said, but for those thinking of such a system should be aware of seal leaks.
Seal on open compressor need oil on them to seal and if the compressor is not run for a fairly long period the seal leaks, and you lose refrigerant. This is the reason automobile air conditioners should be run once a week during winter.
The talk here was of domestic air conditioning.
---------------------
On commercial stuff with combustion engine driven system , I started up a large system for the separation of gas and oil on a oil and gas field. It had a gas (natural gas not petrol) engine driving a screw compressor. I put 9 ton of propane refrigerant in the system.

The compressor is run more often then people realize, how do we get defogged windows in any vehicle this days, it was done by use of AC

On 5/7/2012 1:19 AM, snipped-for-privacy@truthonly.com.Sword of Baal wrote:

Please!! You are extremely boring. Just another wanna be gamer that is a bit out of its element. Thank Goodness ..not all limeys are inbred like you. ;-p
"PaxPerPoten" wrote in message

Yep I hit the nail right on the head with my description of you !!!!!
On 5/10/2012 4:32 PM, snipped-for-privacy@truthonly.com.Sword of Baal wrote:

Actually you pretty much described yourself. but you are good at producing a lot of natural gas here. Do rave on. ;-p !!!!!
"PaxPerPoten" wrote in message of Baal wrote:

You are the one who made the statement that domestic absorption air conditioning units were super cheap to run, I just proved you wrong with FACTS.
Now you just rave on.
On 5/14/2012 12:24 AM, snipped-for-privacy@truthonly.com.Sword of Baal wrote:

Actually you didn't. N.gas AC units run cheaper then electrical units. The initial expense of the equipment was its downfall. The N.Gas companies subsidized the installation for years and was reimbursed by the Federal Government. A HVAC and Plumbers Union Lawsuit claiming unfair subsidized competition ended that. Now the N.Gas utility companies can no longer sell equipment or repair it. NoHVAC company wanted to take up the slack and sell/service Absorption A/C..Thus it died. The N.Gas Utility companies are still subsidized by the Federal Government in America.

Blow me.
On 5/16/2012 5:32 PM, PaxPerPoten wrote:

With natural gas? ^_^
TDD
"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

Unfortunately he does that all the time.
TDD
"PaxPerPoten" wrote in message of Baal wrote:

Prove it.
I gave you the gas usage of a around a 5 ton unit.
You keep raving it is cheaper to a domestic absorption air conditioning units than an electric unit. so prove it. (Super cheap you said)
You were talking about how cheap it is to run, that is not the install costs So prove your statement about how cheap they are too run.
On 5/16/2012 10:47 PM, snipped-for-privacy@truthonly.com.Sword of Baal wrote:

Do your own homework by checking the Utility company figures. How long are you gonna be on the rag any way?

"PaxPerPoten" wrote in message

Typical answer from someone caught out lying and cannot prove what they said.
You said it now post the numbers and a URL to prove it or shut up.
On 5/27/2012 2:33 PM, snipped-for-privacy@truthonly.com.Sword of Baal wrote:

Still on the rag, eh? When you get done crying...Go do your own homework. Its not my fault that you are scared to death of absorption systems.

"PaxPerPoten" wrote in message

As usual with raver who do not know what they are talking about like you, they try madly to cover up when they cannot prove what they sprouted
You said it, now post the numbers and a URL to prove it or shut up