My Central Air will not turn on

Hello,

I noticed a smell similar to wires burning coming from my 5 year old thermostat. The air had not been on all day and it is 85 in my house. I went to Home Depot and bought a new thermostat and hooked it up. The A/C still wont come on. I turned the unit off downstairs and unplugged the fuse out side for about 30 minutes and then turned them both back on and still nothing. When I go outside and push on the new contactor that was installed three weeks ago and hold the contactor in the outside unit comes on. But if i let go, nothing.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

-Ryan

Reply to
Rbokie24

Its broken, and its not the thermostat.

Yup

Your welcome

Reply to
Noon-Air

Thanks Einstein that helps me immensely.

Reply to
Rbokie24

Yeah, great advice. Next smartass response please...

I was told that this was a good place to get help in fixing problems without having to call someone out but apparently my sources were incorrect. Thanks for not helping me.

Reply to
Rbokie24

Try alt.home.repair

Reply to
Joseph

Who changed the three week old contactor?

Reply to
<kjpro

Go outside and push in the contacter..

Keep holding it down untill it&#39;s finally cold enough for you go back inside.

Reply to
Jeffrey Lebowski

The same numb-rod who told him he could get quality advice from alt.hvac!

Reply to
Zephyr

It sounds like the control transformer has fried.

Reply to
CJT

Your perfectly welcome.

Reply to
Jeffrey Lebowski

You were told wrong... now quit trying to be another typical tight assed SOB slumlord wannabe, pry open your wallet with a wrecking bar, and call a

*LOCAL* tech to come fix your screw ups.
Reply to
Noon-Air

Go f*ck yourself Noon-Air.

Reply to
Rbokie24

run back to home cheapo and try another thermostat , the one you bought is bad

Rbokie24 wrote:

Reply to
The Freon Cowboy

Welcome to my killfile asshole

*PLONK*
Reply to
Noon-Air

My vocabulary is limited and I am not HVAC man and I often disagreed with many guys in here. However my dear man if you don&#39;t have any experience with electrical or electronics you should kept your pause of the unit, now you made half hour of work for tech. to half day. Thermostat is not only thing that control any refrigeration system. while you may think otherwise take it from old man if you don&#39;t know what are you doing stay out of it. Tony

Tony

Because they know what they&#39;re doing and post accurate information Tony on the other hand posts crap and then says he&#39;s right.

But as you see above, he admits he&#39;s not an HVAC man. Tony, you&#39;re nothing more than a dumbass!

Tony, read the last line above till *you* understand it... now think about this one...

"take it from old man if you don&#39;t know what are you doing don&#39;t post it"

(Grammar errors left in place, so maybe you can understand it)

Reply to
<kjpro

Hey everyone,

Just thought you all would like to know that the actual problem was a blown transformer. It&#39;s fixed now and the house is cooling.

and, no Im not an HVAC person either but Im the type of person that can turn a screw or hammer a nail and if it would have been the thermostat it would have been fixed by me. Im not afraid to try and fix things that Im capable of fixing. I dont need to call someone to come and fix it for me if I can fix it myself. In this case, i couldnt fix it myself SO I CALLED SOMEONE WHO COULD.

Have a nice weekend.

Reply to
Rbokie24

Well what can I say I can&#39;t expect anything less from person that talks out of experience

Reply to
Tony

All caused by the fact that you were too f****ng stupid to unplug the airhandler when you wired you&#39;re home cheapo thur me stat.

Reply to
Superheat

So you have a crystal ball that says his original stat wasn&#39;t the cause?

Reply to
<kjpro