Mini split AC: indoor unit is off but still gets cold?

Hi. I just had a mini split AC system installed. One outdoor unit with 4 indoo r units. When I turn one indoor unit on to cool the room, I notice that th e other 3 (in 3 different rooms) also get cold (though their fans are not o n). Just curious: don't each of these operate like zone valves? Seems was teful to pump refrigerant through all when only some are "on". Interested to learn, Theodore.
That is the way it is; it is cheap, to have unit what you are looking for coast would be double. Even with modification still would be wasting power because Compressor is running anywhere Let say each indoor units is equal to 8000 BTUh. each. Compressors is design to handle 32000 BTUh. you can not turn off those 24000 BTUh. without compromising something some place. There for those individual units are always ON but fans not running to cool the area but are keeping compressor from going into vacuum and perhaps burning up. Sorry not very good design!!! Waste of Electricity!!
wrote in message </DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Hi.</DIV> <DIV>I just had a mini split AC system installed.&nbsp; One outdoor unit = with 4 indoor units.&nbsp; When I turn one indoor unit on to cool the room, I notice that the other 3 (in 3 different rooms) also get cold (though their fans are not on).&nbsp; Just curious: don't each of these operate like zone valves?&nbsp; Seems wasteful to pump refrigerant through all when only some are "on".</DIV> <DIV>Interested to learn,</DIV> <DIV>Theodore.</DIV></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML> ------=
On Sunday, June 28, 2015 at 1:01:07 PM UTC-4, tony944 wrote:

So with no air flow, do they freeze up? Just curious.

Yes. I observed the unused interior unit frosting up. Didn't become a solid mass, but this (and the sound of the refrigerant in the pipes) is what drew my attention to it when it was "off."
Yes units might show some frosting but there is another situation on multi evaporator's system. It is "critical charge". what happens when there is no load, Evaporators start freeze up some, at same time pressure drop and condenser looses must of liquid; results are Evaporator in use, starts to get partial liquid and partial cool gas feed. Be aware of that charge is very critical and you can flood compressor easily.