Maytag, Tempstar, Goodman

I have a coupls guys come out and give me est. on our 15 year old heat pump/ Air Condintioning system. They have suggested or should I say try to sell us Maytag, Tempstar and Goodman systems. For the pros. on the list what can you all say about these units.

Reply to
designwebs

questions you need to ask are who is going to do a room-by-room manual J heat load and loss calc to correctly size the system for your home(there is no such thing as "rule of thumb"). Who is going to be there when the system needs service?? Does the system have R410a refrigerant in it(R22 is being phased out)?? Can they provide you with references from folks who have purchased new systems from them?? Talk to the local building inspector and ask him if he would trust these guys to do work in his familys home.

OTOH, if you looking for the lowest price, then all bets are off.

Reply to
Steve

Talk to the local building inspector and

I am also going to be changing out a LPG furnace and air conditioner for some type of heat pump. Thanks for idea of talking to the inspection department.

But do I really need a manual J heat load and loss calculation? The existing furnace seems to be sized about right. It takes a fair amount of time to bring up the heat in the morning when the programmable thermostat says heat is needed. And it has managed to keep the house warm during some near record cold snaps. So I do not think it is either oversized or undersized.

Do not know about the air conditioning sizing yet, as I have not been here during any hot weather, but expect to know by next fall.

I do figure I will need some calculations on duct sizing since a heat pump does not supply air that is a hot as a furnace.

=20 Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Talk to the local building inspector and

I am also going to be changing out a LPG furnace and air conditioner for some type of heat pump. Thanks for idea of talking to the inspection department.

But do I really need a manual J heat load and loss calculation? The existing furnace seems to be sized about right. It takes a fair amount of time to bring up the heat in the morning when the programmable thermostat says heat is needed. And it has managed to keep the house warm during some near record cold snaps. So I do not think it is either oversized or undersized.

Do not know about the air conditioning sizing yet, as I have not been here during any hot weather, but expect to know by next fall.

I do figure I will need some calculations on duct sizing since a heat pump does not supply air that is a hot as a furnace.

Dan

You will still need the Manual J calcs, as well as the manual D to insure that everything *IS* correctly sized. if the current furnace is still cycling on and off during the very coldest days, it is probably oversized. Unless you do the math, your only guessing.

Reply to
Noon-Air

Thanks for the reply. This guy is all over our area. My neighbor has him and they have not any problems with his company. When we fist moved into to our house 15 hrs ago he came out and looked and measured all the rooms.

Reply to
designwebs

In my professional opinion, I would wonder why you need all three. ;-)

Reply to
Alexander

Can't say much about any of them... These sh/c/w/ould be considered the "good/better/best" of the bottom of the barrel... There are many much better mfgrs. out there, but as always install, service & warranty have a great deal to do with it. Goodman has been climbing the heap & I can't rule it out now as I used to. I'd do a little more research, call a few more bidders. When it comes to HP's I personally thing Trane & Am Std. are the tops... but I've been wrong before...

goodluck geothermaljones

Reply to
geothermaljones