Lux Brand Thermostat Replacement = No A/C?

Page 1 of 2

Our old thermostat decided to quit so I am trying to replace it with a "Lux" Brand from Lowe's.
What's happening it the Heat will turn on if we set it to heat and raise the temp, but the Air conditioning won't activate mo matter what. Once when I turned the switch to FAN the circuit breaker cut power.
The Central air unit is fairly old... Here is a picture
http://img139.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0119ib4.jpg
Here is a picture of the thermostat's innards and how we have it wired:
http://img528.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0120fz1.jpg

Hmmm.....didya stop to think that if it doesn't work that it might be time to call a tech?? Replacing the thermostat is like saying "my car won't run, maybe if I put a new key in it??" A thermostat is nothing more than a temperature controlled ON/OFF SWITCH.
BTW, Lowes will not take back that thermostats... they will only exchange it for another of the exact same brand/model.
Steve wrote:

The first thermostat was 30 years old, and when we turned the temperature down the A/C would kick on but wouldn't shut off when the desired temp was met. So we know the central air unit is OK and working properly; hence the surface of Venus was not simulated in the house.
On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 18:50:28 -0400, Justin

Like I said earlier, the shit that homeowners come up with amazes me. This fucktard asserts that because the ac comes on and doesn't shut off when it's supposed to then it must be the thermostat. Goddamned idiot fucktard.
If this isn't a quote, it should be: "intelligence is inversely proportional to swearing."
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Not so..Swearing is good for relieving tension and starting John Deere tractors when it is -35F. Do keep in mind that Mothers will keep their small children away from you while you work and swear. If you teach their children to sing little ditties like:
There was a little Bird No bigger then a Turd Sitting on a telephone pole He stretched his little neck and shit about a peck and puckered his little asshole
You can be assured the children will never be allowed around you again. ;-p

Justin wrote:

You are past due for a 96% efficiency HVAC system.

Could it be that not only are you cheap but also colorblind? Call a competant service company and stop mucking around.
Don Ocean wrote:

When I can afford it I'll let you know.

I like mucking around. and its "competent."
Justin wrote:

Its also a Heatpump thermostat. And a Lux. They have been a real problem in the past. I do hope that has been fixed. Where is the black wire or is that a bad question.

Don Ocean wrote:

I realize now Lux is the Hyundai of thermostats.
There is no black wire.

More like the Yugo or Daewoo. Hunter is another to stay away from.
What was the blue wire hooked up to on your old stat? If it was 'C' and you thought 'RC' meant the same, you more than likely killed the new thermostat. That dinosaur may have a two transformer system which would use the RC, but unlikely.
At this point if you didn't let the smoke out of the transformer in the furnace you're very lucky. Call a tech and save yourself time and grief.
One last thing...after you wired it up the second time with the RH/RC jumped and the blue wire disconnected, did you wait at least 5 to 7 minutes after setting it to cool to see if things turned on?
George
On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 21:17:12 -0400, Justin

Hell, Lets skip all that thermostat shit and get back to the first pic of the furnace. With that nice return air cut right into the side of the return duct because of his inadequate duct system, he wont need to upgrade his system to a high eff one. He will probably be dead from the fumes of the oil furnace. I like how that barometric is mounted plumb and level and shifted to about the 11 oclock position. I bet that baby purrs like a kitten in the winter. Just shoot yourself now and get it all over with. Bubba

This was my first thought... nice return grill. <rolleyes> To the OP... Lux and Hunter thermostats are complete trash!!!

Don't put your life in the hands of a simple CO detector... unless you spent around 200 bucks it's a complete POS.
Color blind is a concern. I do have a lot of trouble with colors. Usually I have to ask the HO to confim my colors.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

You posted this in your previous post...
"Color blind is a concern. I do have a lot of trouble with colors. Usually I have to ask the HO to confim my colors."
Yet you can see the colors fine from your computer???
Ok, whatever...
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I fixed it. cool air is blowing up my shorts as we speak.
Gaaaaahhhh..... <shuddeer> I don't want to think about it.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Heh! heh! I guess that means you will be off the Spit for a day or two. ;-)