Low on freon

Page 1 of 2

Everyone I talk to about refrigeration. It's not cooling right, must be low on freon. I'm so totally tired of hearing that. Well, maybe it's time to surrender to the urban legend, instead of trying to educate the world. From now on, everyone gets gages and a couple ounces (at least) of freon. If they're buying, I'm selling.
I might also fix the problem while I'm there, but quietly so.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I've been telling a guy for months that his HVAC and refrigeration needs cleaning, now he's in a big hurry. He ran the 5 ton without a filter, it looks like it had someone throw mud up into the A coil. GEEZ!
TDD
Sounds like that A-coil needs to be replaced? Wet coil plus dust. Yes, that adds up to mud.
A friend of mine from church. I met him when his family moved in Central AC with 4 ton condensor. Not cooling. I put the gages on, and it's low charge. Also I can see obviously that it needs cleaning. Add some refrigerant and strongly advise him about the cleaning.
About two years later, the compressor burns out, probably due to over heating. He was kind enough to ask me to replace the condensing unit.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Always remember to figure in the "dumb fuck" factor.
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Mud throwing? Are you that hard up for business? Next it will be sending out kids with air guns with 25 cent bounties on condensing units. ;-)
Alexander wrote:

Do you know what an "A" coil is?
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Sorry, I don't have time to explain things to you. Stormy will be glad to enlighten you. Maybe he will be kind enough to explain the difference between a "W" coil and an "M" coil too. ;-)

Alexander wrote:

I hate "W" coils, they're hell to deal with and "M" coils when doubled up, collect to much chocolate. Horizontal coils are a lot easier to peal a layer of pet hair off of.
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Semitruck radiators and condensers seem to have the same problem

I'm not sure anyone thinks to clean condensors on vehicle AC. I do.... done the last couple vehiles I've owned that had AC.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Do you get lucky sometimes and peel lunch off of them?

No, I have to scrape lunch out of the tire tread. The condensors only have bird feathers and rotted leaves.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Let's not forget to show some love for the "forward slash' coil's, too. :o)
-zero

Or the "N" coils
zero wrote:

Damned! I thought they were a reverse Slash.

Alexander wrote:

Don't forget the octothorpe coils, they're very hard to clean.
TDD
An octothorpe coil is the one that 8 up all the freon, and somehow repeatedly misses the point. Have to add several # of freon.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
The Daring Dufas wrote:

I Am doing my best to forget.
That's only when viewed in an inspection miror from the back.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus