Low guage readings

Hi all, A friend of mine asked me to look at his A/C unit before he called a tech out. He said the last time he ran it the suction line was freezing outside at the condensor and the unit was not cooling. Previous to that he said it was operating fine. I fully expected to find dirty filters or some other reason for no air flow, but all that was fine. So I put on a set of guages just to check for low charge. What i found has me a little puzzled. The outdoor temp was only about 60-65 but 90's are forcast for later this week and this was the only chance I had to look at it. Head pressure, 75psi (yes WAY low), suction pressure 70psi and after a short while the suction line started frosting from the condensor at the service ports. I have had some HVAC classes but am an electrician by trade and as I said before thought I would find an airflow problem. In short, I told him he needs to call someone out but I am beginning to wonder about whether the compressor or compressor valves are bad. Anybody have any thoughts?
Thanks, Dave
leave the hvac to us , and we'll leave electrical to you ;-)
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Yes it is puzzling do your ac have service valve on suction line that comes from evaporator if so on which side of the valve did you take readings, because if you took readings on the evaporators side of the service valve your valve could be partially close or some kind obstruction with in that would explain freezing between valve and compressor high pressure on evaporator and low head at same time. Tony

No, No service valves on the condensor. Thanks
does this unit have thermal expansion valve

No TEX and the unit is a 3 ton Magic Chef about 10-12 years old..If memory serves me right I think Magic Chef was made by Lennox

Hmmmm....no service valves, no expantion valve, 3 ton, 10 - 12 years old.... sounds like a trailer to me. This wouldn't be a heat pump by any stretch of imagination???
Maybe you should be calling a *competent* tech??
He said no service ports on the condensor. I'm guessing he means the cold condensor in the furnace.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Really?
Quote: "after a short while the suction line started frosting from the condensor at the service ports."

Keep guessing, "cold condensor in furnace"... LOL You need a clue Stormy.
CLUE <<---- Here ya go!
very very funny situation I will agree with Cowboy that you may have bad gauges or manifold perhaps your manifold maybe leaking through Tony

Really? What brand of condensing unit is it? There should be a valve on the discharge side of the condensor. Typically, after an internal filter drier, where the line comes out of the cabinet. And one service valve on the suction line where it comes into the condensing unit.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

to frost at a service valve, the compressor must be pumping. If the unit wasgmassively low on freon, you'd see a much lower suction pressure.<dI'm starting to wonder if the metering device is missing, or locked open?.g-- l..rChristopher A. YounglLearn more about Jesusa http://www.lds.org/portal/site/LDSOrge
messagee Hi all, : A friend of mine asked me to look at his A/C unit before he called a : tech out. He said the last time he ran it the suction line was : freezing outside at the condensor and the unit was not cooling..: Previous to that he said it was operating fine.t: I fully expected to find dirty filters or some other reason for no airk: flow, but all that was fine. So I put on a set of guages just to : check for low charge.c: What i found has me a little puzzled. : The outdoor temp was only about 60-65 but 90's are forcast for laterr: this week and this was the only chance I had to look at it.i: Head pressure, 75psi (yes WAY low), suction pressure 70psi and after ae: short while the suction line started frosting from the condensor atn: the service ports.t: I have had some HVAC classes but am an electrician by trade and as In: said before thought I would find an airflow problem.
On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 10:02:43 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

You just continue to prove how absolutely clueless you are about hvac. What a fucking moron.
<OLDHVACDUDE> wrote in message wrote:

Stormy's clueless about EVERYTHING. Otherwise, he wouldn't be busting door jams. :-)
On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 15:50:08 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

This is a rather simple fix. Call up Stormy and have him come over. When he gets there, bash his head in with a rock. While he is still conscious, have him beat your head in with those fuquering gauges you have no clue how to use. Then, while you are both still semi-conscious, call up tony, have him come over and both of you can bash his head in with a tire iron. Bubba