Loud Furnace

I have a small house on a concrete slab. The furnace is located in a small closet near the living room. When the furnace kicks on it is extremely loud and hard to hold a converstation much less watch a telivision show. Is there anything I can do to quite this down? Oh yea the furnace is a Dayton Fuel-trimmer.
Looking forward to some good ideas, Kevin

Lots of generic ideas..... first and formost, call your local *competent*, licensed, insured, professionally trained, HVAC technician to come see *FIRST HAND* what the problems are and correct them. Second, have the ductwork issues corrected....that will usually help with noise reduction Third, put in a decent furnace, not the cheapest. The cheapest furnace doesn't have the sound insulation, or the efficiency, or the warranty that a decent one has. Beyond that, I can't *SEE* it through my computer screen...
Have it serviced to make sure that it is performing normally. Then you could look into soundproofing the common walls. You can add fire resistant sound proofing to the inside walls and door of the closet but make sure it is fire proof which will be more expensive.
As others have mentioned you could replace the unit with a quieter one but that's probably more than you want to spend.
There is a very good technique for building sound proofed interior walls using 2x6 on the top and bottom and alternating positioned 2x4s spaced at 12" but that would require you tear down and rebuild the walls. That as well as other ideas are on http://www.soundproofing101.com/soundproofing_3.htm

Upflow furnace? small slab on grade, Let me guess...
By chance is this unit sitting directly on a return plenum box open on one side, with the grille below the door? Fairly common return setup in a small apt/condo/home application. Problem is, the blower noise is huge. A couple baffles in the return might help, but your messing with airflow & that can cause another batch of issues.
If not, please disregard...
goodluck geothermaljones