Lost oil from central a/c unit

Hi ,Not sure what I did wrong but I added freon for a frozen Rheem 3 ton central a/c unit, After the ice melted in the aie handler the pressure on the low side shot up to 100 from 40. I decided to remove some freon from the unit. I used the low pressure side to remove the freon . After a while I noticed that I lost about 6 0z. of oil. So I decided to remove freon using the high pressure side. That worked alot better with very little oil loss. Finally I got the low pressure side to about 65 and the unit is working well. I have 2 questions now., How do I replace the oil back the the central a/c unit? And Why did the pressure rise after the ice melted in the air handler. Any advice would help. Ray

Reply to
rayjohn3

"Hi ,Not sure what I did wrong but I added freon for a frozen Rheem 3 ton central a/c unit,"

that should be your first clue , you never attempt to charge a "frozen "system

secondly , how did you know that you lost 6 ozs of oil unless you vented the refrigerant , and then observed the oil on the ground

you are either a complete idiot or a troll ,

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
The Freon Cowboy

HVAC 101 , never charge a unit when the evaporator coil is blocked or the rated air flow across the coil slowed.I.e. dirty air filter, dirty coil ,blower motor not running or ice blocking the air flow across the coil. Why?, the 40 degree evaporator coil/ 68 PSIG suction pressure is all based on, and determined. coil loading and metering device and equipment sizing. If the coil is blocked, the refrigerant does not pick up any heat,subsequently the refrigerant does not change states from a liquid to a gas. The pressure shown on the suction gauge of your manifold gauge set will remains low.You continued to add refrigerant to the system until the gauges show the numbers someone told you. With no air flow across the coil, it will take about three time the refrigerant in the system as normal. After the ice melts, as you discovered the system will be dangerously over charged. The oil sump on the compressor is on the low pressure side (suction , side) of the compressor. Therefore it stands the reasons why as you Vented CFC's in the atomosphere that some oil would exit the compressor as well. Mickey in Charlotte

Reply to
Lloyd Mickey Edwards

.> If the coil is blocked, the refrigerant does not pick up any .> heat,subsequently the refrigerant does not change states from a liquid to a .> gas.

A typo or not enough coffee?

-zero

Reply to
-zero

What?????

Oil sump on the low pressure side?????

Reply to
<kjpro

The only advice you need is to call a pro, and quit fiucking with the single most expensive appliance in your home......unless you want to f*ck it up worse than what you started with. But if you got an extra $7,000 - $15,000 to throw away on a new system, go ahead on.

Reply to
Noon-Air