Lightening protection for condenser?

I am hiring a professional to install a Fujitsu Halycon split ductless air conditioner in my garage. The condenser will be on the roof. Since we get a considerable amount of lightening in the area, I asked him if he plans on lightening protection for the unit.
He said he is not, and there "has never been a problem."
Is lightening protection required or recommended for roof-installed condensers?
--
| Delivered via http://www.homeownershub.com |