Lennox, "Ya gotta luv em" NOT!

Ahh, just another ordinary day. Lennox G26Q3/4-100-6 Installed in 99 (not by me). Problem is intermittent. Works fine, then next time just the inducer runs and no heat. I got there the other day. Customer says they have had off and on heating problems since they had it installed. Previous company has been changing limits, press switches, etc. Still same result. Sometimes it works. Other times it dont. I checked everything and couldnt make it screw up. Error Code Led 1 Led 2 Off Slow flash

*Press sw open or has opened after 5 times, clogged condensate lines, vac hoses, flue, blah, blah (you know the drill.)* I finally figure (guess) the press sw is bad as all the old metal ones seem too. I took a shot and found the same day that I was wrong. No harm. Im not billing them for incorrect diagnosis nor wrong part. "Yes kids, even I have to take a stab at a diagnosis once in a great while when i cant make the damn thing screw up in front of me." I pull out the last resort and call Lennox to see if they have any oddities that jump out at them. I describe the problem to them (no heat and the vent motor just running and running). Seems they had a lot of that. The guy tells me immediately it is the "Surelight" control board causing it. The board has a relay that sticks. Kill the board and it works again until next time. Change the board and all will be well. Dont you just love "idiot lights"? I didnt even ask the price. I know this one is going to "hurt bad". Customer is happy as hell. I found the problem in one visit that the other company (can you say, "Service Experts") and all there techs (10) couldnt find in five years! Bubba I still hate Lennox. There parts are just too damn expensive.
Reply to
Bubba

Positive Pressure switches and problems... I know all about them. I'm been living with a Lennox G24M3/4-100 furnace for 9 years and fighting with problems that whole time. After having the board replaced, the pressure switch replaced twice and a "high wind kit" put in at my expense here is what I have learned:

1) The system is just plain flaky. The inducer fan never fails, but the positive pressure sensor (aka pressure switch) often does. It can take several iterations of the inducer fan before the sensor registers. Sometimes it will fail 5 times in a row, the furnace goes into "watchguard" mode and the house gets cold.

2) There are a lot of factors that affect this:

a) If the furnace gets hot inside, the problem is more likely to happen. Keep the filter very clean! Don't close too many vents or cold air returns. Set the main fan to run as long as possible after the gas is turned off. The reason for this, I believe, is that hot air is lighter and the switch fails due to this. If you use a setback thermostat this can accerbate the problem. When the temp is turned up in the morning, the furnace runs for a long time and the inside of the box gets hot.

b) The hose that connects the inducer to the switch must be clean and not kinked. It shouldn't be too long. The connections on each end must be airtight.

c) The connection to the inducer can get dusty. Take a drill bit and clean out the connection. You may want to try to widen the connection to the inducer.

Believe me, next Summer, if I can afford it, I will replace the furnace. Any suggestions on a good model (preferably one without a positive pressure switch!).

-Morphie

Bubba wrote:

Reply to
Morphie

I hear windows make Lennox hard to install.

Reply to
~^Johnny^~

Even when well Trane'd.

Reply to
~^Johnny^~

Sorry. I wans't trying to be Ruud.

Reply to
~^Johnny^~

Are you having fun, youngster ?

Reply to
pjm

Yourjust too good,man.... :-)

Reply to
news.Individual.net

Ok, Carrier ass out of here :-/

Reply to
Noon-Air

But it's nice to be the Comfortmaker

Reply to
kjpro

I think this thread has made me lose my appetite. I want neither to eat Nodyne.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

NORDYNE.

(dammit.)