Lennox Heater Fan..

I have a ten year old Lennox Heating and Air Conditoner unit and for the last few days the fan runs longer than it should when using the Heater. The fan used to run a little longer after the heater went off but now the fan runs a lot longer after the heater turns off.

It appears to only happen in the morning, which seems odd. It malfunctions once or twice in the morning and then works correctly for the rest of the day.

Is it time to call a repairman?

Reply to
JD

Sure. That's why you are paying for the extended warranty for your system.

If you don't have the warranty, plan on paying around $800 for the repair.

Reply to
deke

No, wait till it breaks completely!

That way you might pay higher overtime rates, have no heat and compromise your comfort.

Reply to
<kjpro

Ya think?? Has it ever been serviced since it was installed 10 years ago?? Do you have a service agreement that will get the single most expen$ive appliance in your home checked/serviced and a discount on repairs??

I didn&#39;t think so.....

Bet you go out and buy a new car, then drive it until it breaks before having it serviced too.

Reply to
Noon-Air

$800 sounds a little high to me.

From my research there is a switch that turns the fan off after the heater turns off, it&#39;s purpose is to get more of the heat out of the ducts. I&#39;ve never needed an extended warranty, everyone I know that has that says it wasn&#39;t worth it. The extended warranty cost more than the repairs they had done under the extended warranty.

Reply to
JD

So far, everyone that replied has been so helpful.

I was hoping someone would come along and tell me about the switch that turns the fan off after the heater goes off. That may be something simple to repair or replace on my own?

I noticed the problem Saturday morning but it only happened once. And then it did it again this morning so I don&#39;t believe I have waited until it broke completely and Monday will be the first day I can call for repairs without over-time.

Reply to
JD

It has been serviced since it was installed 10 years ago. They did very little. It wasn&#39;t worth the expense.

As far as I know, the local Lennox dealer offers no extended service agreement with or without a discount on repairs. I&#39;ll be sure to look into that when I call them on Monday.

I drive a 1992 Honda Civic and a 1993 Nissan Pathfinder and they have never been back to the dealer for "service" and they both run quite well, thank you. Bought them both new!

From my research, while I was waiting for helpful replies in this newgroup, there is a switch that turns the fan off after the heater goes off. That should be easy to replace if I can get someone to tell me more about it. Guess that will be the parts department at my local Lennox dealer?

Reply to
JD

yup, and thats only if they will actually sell you the parts. Hope you got the correct parts, because electrical parts are non-returnable, and anything that is not installed by their tech has no warranty.

Gotta love it when somebody comes in here, doesn&#39;t give any *USEFULL* information about the system with the problem then expects us to have xray vision/clairvoyance to be able to know what make/model/serial number, installation configuration, and service/repair history. Then they get their panties in a wad when they don&#39;t get the answer they wanted..... how to fix it for free and without having to call somebody that actually knows what their doing.

FWIW, I got 6 calls this morning from folks that had broken systems (not 1 was one of my regular customers). Their systems have been broken on the average of a week or more. They expect me to drop everything, and come running on SUNDAY MORNING to fix it because now they figure its "an emergency". They get pissed because I have the audacity to charge for OVERTIME for Sunday callouts and repairs. None of them wanted to wait until tomorrow morning, none of them have called back to schedule an appointment. I expect that I will get a call or 2 in the morning where they want me to come right then to fix their junk. Sorry, I am booked out until Thursday, but they could have scheduled for Monday, the FIRST time they called.

Reply to
Noon-Air

Thanks for sharing.

"Their" works for "gets their panties in a bunch" but not for "their doing". That would be "they&#39;re", "knows what they are (or they&#39;re) doing."

Maybe you&#39;ve been doing this too long?

Is there a little switch that turns off the fan a minute or two after the heater has turned off? That&#39;s what seems to be hanging. Would that switch be in the little relay on the side of the blower case that has two wires going to the motor?

Reply to
JD

I know your Bubba&#39;s mommy but a&#39;re you he&#39;s mommy tooo?

If you knew how many Homeowners came in here asking stupid questions for the umpteenth time you may better understand the attitude. And no ignoring the posts isn&#39;t a reasonable request. The regulars here have been here for close to decades. Sarcasm and raucous exchanges are common. Lose the attitude and read the replies carefully and most questions are answered however the answers aren&#39;t always the HO&#39;s want to here...

Joseph

Reply to
Joseph

Those wires lead to the capacitor. The blower leads are red. blue, black and white most likely and lead to a board.

What is the model #?

It could be as simple as a fan relay sticking, or a lockout that keeps the fan running continously.

Book a maintenance, if the issue isn&#39;t resolved with a furnace cleaning, then you probably need some kit that will cost you $500-$1000. Call bubba he can order the part online.

HAHA

-Canadian Heat

--

--------------------------------- --- -- - Posted with NewsLeecher v3.8 Final Web @

----- ---- -- -

Reply to
Anonymous

danger Those wires lead to the capacitor. The blower leads are red. blue, black and white

The fan runs longer than it used to. It does finally shut off on it&#39;s own and it has only done this once, for the last two mornings, the first time the heater came back on after not running all night.

I did remove the case and besides the capacitor I found something called the Fan Limit switch. There were a few spider webs inside the case so I vacuumed those out and then blew some air into the Fan Limit switch.

It&#39;s not cold here except at night so I won&#39;t know how it works until tomorrow morning. And if it still hangs then I will call for repair after I talk to the parts department to make sure they have both the capacitor and the Fan Limit switch in stock.

Reply to
JD

the umpteenth time you may better

request. The regulars here have been here for

attitude and read the replies carefully and most

here...

I&#39;m familiar with newsgroups where they discuss Windows XP, spyware, photoshop and general internet problems and I see people asking questions for the umpteenth time and people still try to help.

To start off a reply by questioning my service record and the way I maintain my automobiles doesn&#39;t seem to really help?

I&#39;m not here to hear what I wanted to hear, I&#39;m here for some help. I apologize for being a HO in this newsgroup. I guess I need to find a newsgroup for HO&#39;s?

Reply to
JD

Does it have a standing pilot? Sounds like a G8 furnace. Heat exchanger is probably cracked at the sbends. Stick your head in the front and look on the side walls, either left or right side. There will be a rating plate and a model # and a sticker with a serial number.

And if it&#39;s a honeywell fan/limit then it probably is just sticking. Just hit the furnace casing 2 min after a heating cycle, if the fan stops that&#39;s it.

-Canadian Heat

--

--------------------------------- --- -- - Posted with NewsLeecher v3.8 Final Web @

----- ---- -- -

Reply to
Anonymous

danger Does it have a standing pilot? Sounds like a G8 furnace. Heat exchanger is probably

This particular Lennox has no pilot and it has no open flames. It&#39;s a sealed combustion unit.

The limit switch is inside the case so it&#39;s kind of hard to hit the limit switch. I&#39;ll know tomorrow morning if cleaning out the inside and blowing air on the limit switch did anything.

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
JD

If it was simple, you wouldn&#39;t be here asking questions!

I do feel like you need to re-read my post, since you feel compelled to point out errors on Noon-Air&#39;s Grammar.

I didn&#39;t say you "waited" till it broke completely. I said, "to wait" till it broke completely and maybe you could pay "after hours" rates for your repair.

Reply to
<kjpro

I bet you&#39;ve never changed the oil, air filters, tires, breaks, or anything else on these two vehicles?

What a joke.

Reply to
<kjpro

Maybe you&#39;re to stupid to realize your own comprehension level?

See my above post on you misunderstanding my comments.

Reply to
<kjpro

questions for the umpteenth time you may better

request. The regulars here have been here for

attitude and read the replies carefully and most

to here...

Here&#39;s what you need to do...

  1. Locate a phone book

  1. Look up "Heating Contractors"

  2. Locate a working phone

  1. Call the number and schedule a service for your furnace

  2. Be home when the repairman comes and show him the way to your furnace

  1. Then let him do his job without your input on what you "think" is wrong with it

  2. Pay the man after the repairs are completed

  1. Enjoy your comfort, knowing the job was done by someone competent and familiar with Heating systems

Good enough for ya?

Reply to
<kjpro

"DANgER" Those wires lead to the capacitor. The blower leads are red. blue, black and white

Since when does a furnace cleaning include "replacement of a fan relay" or "other furnace parts replacement"?

Reply to
<kjpro