Lennox Heater Fan..

Page 1 of 3
I have a ten year old Lennox Heating and Air Conditoner unit and for the last few days the fan runs longer than it should when using the Heater. The fan used to run a little longer after the heater went off but now the fan runs a lot longer after the heater turns off.
It appears to only happen in the morning, which seems odd. It malfunctions once or twice in the morning and then works correctly for the rest of the day.
Is it time to call a repairman?
--
JD..

Sure. That's why you are paying for the extended warranty for your system.
If you don't have the warranty, plan on paying around $800 for the repair.
deke wrote:

$800 sounds a little high to me.
From my research there is a switch that turns the fan off after the heater turns off, it's purpose is to get more of the heat out of the ducts. I've never needed an extended warranty, everyone I know that has that says it wasn't worth it. The extended warranty cost more than the repairs they had done under the extended warranty.
--
JD..

No, wait till it breaks completely!
That way you might pay higher overtime rates, have no heat and compromise your comfort.
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

So far, everyone that replied has been so helpful.
I was hoping someone would come along and tell me about the switch that turns the fan off after the heater goes off. That may be something simple to repair or replace on my own?
I noticed the problem Saturday morning but it only happened once. And then it did it again this morning so I don't believe I have waited until it broke completely and Monday will be the first day I can call for repairs without over-time.
--
JD..

the
compromise
If it was simple, you wouldn't be here asking questions!

I do feel like you need to re-read my post, since you feel compelled to point out errors on Noon-Air's Grammar.
I didn't say you "waited" till it broke completely. I said, "to wait" till it broke completely and maybe you could pay "after hours" rates for your repair.

Ya think?? Has it ever been serviced since it was installed 10 years ago?? Do you have a service agreement that will get the single most expen$ive appliance in your home checked/serviced and a discount on repairs??
I didn't think so.....
Bet you go out and buy a new car, then drive it until it breaks before having it serviced too.
Noon-Air wrote:

It has been serviced since it was installed 10 years ago. They did very little. It wasn't worth the expense.
As far as I know, the local Lennox dealer offers no extended service agreement with or without a discount on repairs. I'll be sure to look into that when I call them on Monday.
I drive a 1992 Honda Civic and a 1993 Nissan Pathfinder and they have never been back to the dealer for "service" and they both run quite well, thank you. Bought them both new!
From my research, while I was waiting for helpful replies in this newgroup, there is a switch that turns the fan off after the heater goes off. That should be easy to replace if I can get someone to tell me more about it. Guess that will be the parts department at my local Lennox dealer?
--
JD..

yup, and thats only if they will actually sell you the parts. Hope you got the correct parts, because electrical parts are non-returnable, and anything that is not installed by their tech has no warranty.
Gotta love it when somebody comes in here, doesn't give any *USEFULL* information about the system with the problem then expects us to have xray vision/clairvoyance to be able to know what make/model/serial number, installation configuration, and service/repair history. Then they get their panties in a wad when they don't get the answer they wanted..... how to fix it for free and without having to call somebody that actually knows what their doing.
FWIW, I got 6 calls this morning from folks that had broken systems (not 1 was one of my regular customers). Their systems have been broken on the average of a week or more. They expect me to drop everything, and come running on SUNDAY MORNING to fix it because now they figure its "an emergency". They get pissed because I have the audacity to charge for OVERTIME for Sunday callouts and repairs. None of them wanted to wait until tomorrow morning, none of them have called back to schedule an appointment. I expect that I will get a call or 2 in the morning where they want me to come right then to fix their junk. Sorry, I am booked out until Thursday, but they could have scheduled for Monday, the FIRST time they called.
Noon-Air wrote:

Thanks for sharing.
"Their" works for "gets their panties in a bunch" but not for "their doing". That would be "they're", "knows what they are (or they're) doing."
Maybe you've been doing this too long?
Is there a little switch that turns off the fan a minute or two after the heater has turned off? That's what seems to be hanging. Would that switch be in the little relay on the side of the blower case that has two wires going to the motor?
--
JD..

I know your Bubba's mommy but a're you he's mommy tooo?

If you knew how many Homeowners came in here asking stupid questions for the umpteenth time you may better understand the attitude. And no ignoring the posts isn't a reasonable request. The regulars here have been here for close to decades. Sarcasm and raucous exchanges are common. Lose the attitude and read the replies carefully and most questions are answered however the answers aren't always the HO's want to here...
Joseph

Joseph wrote:

I'm familiar with newsgroups where they discuss Windows XP, spyware, photoshop and general internet problems and I see people asking questions for the umpteenth time and people still try to help.
To start off a reply by questioning my service record and the way I maintain my automobiles doesn't seem to really help?
I'm not here to hear what I wanted to hear, I'm here for some help. I apologize for being a HO in this newsgroup. I guess I need to find a newsgroup for HO's?
--
JD..

for the

Heater.
now
for
expen$ive
before
very
into
well,
goes
more
got
anything
xray
their
to fix

what
(not 1

the
called
in the

Sorry, I am

the
doing."
questions for the umpteenth time you may better

request. The regulars here have been here for

attitude and read the replies carefully and most

to here...

Here's what you need to do...
1. Locate a phone book
2. Look up "Heating Contractors"
3. Locate a working phone
4. Call the number and schedule a service for your furnace
5. Be home when the repairman comes and show him the way to your furnace
6. Then let him do his job without your input on what you "think" is wrong with it
7. Pay the man after the repairs are completed
8. Enjoy your comfort, knowing the job was done by someone competent and familiar with Heating systems
Good enough for ya?
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

Dog-gone-it Jethro, I can't find the danged phone. Elly May thought it was out by the concrete pond but now it looks like Cousin Bessie has hidden it. Funny thing, when Granny went to apply her potion to the heater she found one of Elly May's raccoons in there. Once we got that critter out the heater, it worked just like it used to.
--
JD..

Hey Joseph. Lick me you puss. Bubba

Bubba,
Sorry if I screwed that up but the insult was meant for JD. He was acting like Noone's mom, after you slighted him with the "are you my mommy bit". Now you know why I don't post much, can't stay up with the threads and usually screw up the intent of the post... I'll go change my thermostat now...
Joseph

most

No problem. I understand. I was wondering why you would have chumped me. :-) I take my potty mouth back. Have a great day. Bubba

and for the

Heater.
but now

correctly for

expen$ive
repairs??
before
did very

service
look into

have
quite well,

heater goes

me more

Lennox
you got

and anything

*USEFULL*
have xray

number,
get their

how to fix

knows what

systems (not 1

on the

come
"an
for
have called

or 2 in the

Sorry, I am

Monday, the

doing."
acting like Noone's mom, after you slighted him

can't stay up with the threads and usually screw

Can't ya just feel the love? LOL
Those wires lead to the capacitor. The blower leads are red. blue, black and white most likely and lead to a board.
What is the model #?
It could be as simple as a fan relay sticking, or a lockout that keeps the fan running continously.
Book a maintenance, if the issue isn't resolved with a furnace cleaning, then you probably need some kit that will cost you $500-$1000. Call bubba he can order the part online.
HAHA
-Canadian Heat
danger< snipped-for-privacy@heat.com wrote:

The fan runs longer than it used to. It does finally shut off on it's own and it has only done this once, for the last two mornings, the first time the heater came back on after not running all night.
I did remove the case and besides the capacitor I found something called the Fan Limit switch. There were a few spider webs inside the case so I vacuumed those out and then blew some air into the Fan Limit switch.
It's not cold here except at night so I won't know how it works until tomorrow morning. And if it still hangs then I will call for repair after I talk to the parts department to make sure they have both the capacitor and the Fan Limit switch in stock.
--
JD..