Leer ice chest not cooling enough

I had a cooler driving me nuts a couple weeks ago.
Leer ice merchandiser. Ourdoor unit. On the sun side of the building, which wasn't helping.
When I got there, it would be fine. Nice and cold. The store owner and also my contact at the company both told me the ice was melting. But it wasn't happening when I was there.
Behaved like the condensor was dirty. The usual "not releasing heat". But, I'd cleaned it with compressed air, water, coil cleaner, etc.
This was one of the rare "defrost" boxes. Fan (one fan) through evaporator, and defrost timer. Heater, and drain line to drain out the back of the box. Most of the boxes on my route are coldwall. The defrost boxes tend to be older, and tend to be R-12 units.
Finally, I tried something else, and then think I've figured out the problem. OK, with the accumulated wisdom of this group.... what was wrong?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On 9/14/2010 6:11 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Is it controlled by a pressure switch instead of a thermostat?
TDD
On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 18:15:59 -0500, The Daring Dufas

    The ice is not supposed to melt.

    Don't confuse the boy. He's still wondering if ice is supposed to melt.
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Rather simple thermostat. In this case, the stat is in the evaporator housing. The stat probe should be in contact wtih the evaporator. I can't remember if it was. I reached around and felt, the coil was not frozen solid, and there was reasonably good air flow through the evaporator fins.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

You know, I do work on R-12 equipment. Not sure if I can afford today's prices for the stuff. Should I send you an email, off list?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus