Janitrol Heat Strip Replacement

I'm selling my house, and the buyer's inspection detected that the heating elements weren't putting out sufficient temperature ... diagnosis, one or more elements bad. So ... I removed the front panel from the (1994) Janitrol A49-10 air handler and immediately saw that one of the two elements was indeed burned out.

Haven't called an HVAC place yet ('cause it's a weekend), but looking on-line, the closest part number I can come up with for the heat strip kit is HSK1037488 ... which really doesn't look like the B10374-68 part that's in there now. Also the new part has 2 plastic connectors on the ends of the various wires .. and the old one has individual metal connectors on each wire.

Can anyone help me out ... is this part a "closest replacement"? ... and if so, I assume I would I need to clip off the plastic connectors and use wire nuts to connect to the existing wiring ... correct?

Reply to
jeparker49

What you need to do, seeing as you obviously don't have clue #

1 what you're doing, is call someone who DOES know, and pay them to come and fix it.
Reply to
Angus Bentz

Gee ... that was certainly helpful information ... do you answer all questions posted to this newsgroup the same way?

Reply to
jeparker49

Have a professional restring the element...less expensive....with out going through a heat kit replacement

Reply to
daytona°

Gee ... that was certainly helpful information ... do you answer all questions posted to this newsgroup the same way?

Reply to
jeparker49

Your pretty much screwed until you can get a tech out there. I wouldn't try to DIY, because its pretty clear that you don't have a clue.

Reply to
Noon-Air

That sounds like the simplest (and cheapest) solution! I've seen restringing kits, but figured most techs would rather sell you the whole heat strip kit vs. repairing the individual coils. I assume it would be best to restring both coils at the same time ... not just the one that's burned out ... true?

Reply to
jeparker49

I would do it that way...we carry 3.4 kw, 4.0 kw and 5.0 kw kits. I have been stringing them for 40 years. Because just when you think you can buy the part..;.THEY NO LONGER MAKE IT...so go to roots solution Now they come in 3 diameters...make sure you get the proper diameter...measure the correct length of the original one and stretch out the new to the same length....sounds like I'm teaching my new techs....that know nothing about FIELD ADAPTATION DO NOT crack any insulators or you will be up shit creek....and in some cases you might need 1/4 X 20 bolts with washers and nuts to make the final connections....some are brazed on the ends...unless you have that capability

dayt> Have a professional restring the element...less expensive....with out > going

That sounds like the simplest (and cheapest) solution! I've seen restringing kits, but figured most techs would rather sell you the whole heat strip kit vs. repairing the individual coils. I assume it would be best to restring both coils at the same time ... not just the one that's burned out ... true?

Reply to
daytona°

The more I'm reading about the restringing process, the less I think I should attempt it! I have sent an e-mail to Goodman customer service, inquiring as to whether the Janitrol part #B10374-68 is still available or not. If it is, then that's probably the fastest way to solve my repair problem ... even though it may be somewhat more expensive.

In case it's no longer available, do you know of any dealers that carry "obsolete" parts for Janitrol air handlers?

By the way .. thanks for the advice ... not all of the posters are so helpful!

Reply to
jeparker49