Is my A/C capacitor dying??

Page 1 of 2
My a/c appears to be dying. When the thermostat turns on, the system does not always crank up immediately - sometimes not at all.. Last night it was dead so I left the breakers off overnight and when I went to turn them on this morning the system worked fine and brought the temperature down to the thermostat setting. Then once it turned off and the temperature started to rise it would not turn on again.
I replaced the thermostat batteries, and even replaced the thermostat itself.....no luck. Perhaps the capacitor is going bad...what do you think? The inside unit is 3 years old and the outside unit is somewhat older. Right now we are strapped for cash to get a pro come and take a look so I am hoping I could do something myself. Any ideas ?- could it be the capacitor ?....how can I test it.? I have a multimeter and some electronics knowledge. Thanks

Extremely interesting yet always the same. The A/C doesnt work so you replace the batteries.........then the stat? That doesnt work so you pick on the capacitor? Im thinking your refrigerant is worn out and needs to be replenished. If that doesnt work, replace the stat again. You probably just got a bad one. Bubba
No definitely not capacitor check your Tst. and other wiring. Dido

what he just said? Bubba

You mean you lost your minion decoder ring?

It could be low on gas. Have tried applying the choke before cranking it up?

Maybe the battery is bad. Down there in Miami, they only last about three years.

There you go.... It's the battery.

No cash, so, you went out and bought a thermostat? Wait.... It probably is the thermostat. When you put the new thermostat in, did you get one that runs the same protocol? You know, Goodman runs I2C, Lennox runs SPI, Carrier, and Trane run MODBUS.

I have lot's of ideas. If you think it's the capacitor, go on out and buy one. I know.... The parts store won't take it back when you find out it's not that like Lowes, or the Depot took the stat back. There's alot of things it might be. If you don't F the unit up too bad, one of the items on the long list of what "could" be bad might even still be under warranty. Remember that while you're playing.

What do I think? You are strapped for cash? Just do what I did, spend the next two days in Reno.

I have electronics knowledge, but I don't work on my own TV.... or my own computer. I know when to call a pro. I guess thats beyond your comprehension. The cost of the service call will probably be about the same as what you paid for the t-stat, batteries, the trip to the big box store, your time, etc.
There's a wide assortment of things that can go wrong go wrong go wrong. Time to call a service tech. There are some troubleshooting web sites, but it sounds like you need an experinced service guy. Or gal.
I've found that poorly serviced AC systems use a lot more electric. So, a good service (including wet cleaning the outdoor unit) may save it's own cost in electric savings.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

So now you're pissing on the outdoor units to clean them? Bubba

He's got to fire up the search engine first.

Mr. Dildo, please post some objective references to support your assertion here.

Mr. Ozar I will assumed by asking that question you want to be put in the same folder with Al Moran and some others Dido

Misser Dildo, yuu haf ta unnerstan that unlesss yoo cun spull simpul werds, no budy wull tayk yoo sereeuslee. annd unlesss yoo ken bak up yer staytmunts, yoo jest loowk stoopud. Bob saz thiss
--
Respectfully, Bob

Bob_Loblaw posted for all of us...

--
Tekkie "There\'s no such thing as a tool I don\'t need."

Misser Dildow, yoos the won in a speshul folder all bye yerself
--
Respectfully, Bob

Bob, that's "buy" yerself. Can't you misspell anything right?
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

We can only hope that Dildo's idiocy isn't contagious through osmosis...
--
Respectfully, Bob