Is A/C capacitor supposed to look like this?

Page 1 of 4

Trane central air unit quit doing its thing (recently made another post about it) and I finally cracked open the housing.
Here are some pics - front and rear of a capacitor and a pano of the electronics. Am I mistaken or is the cap leaking stuff out that it's not supposed to be leaking? If so, under what heading in the yellow pages should I be looking for replacement pieces?
http://www.fileden.com/files/2010/3/22/2800754/cap_front.jpg
http://www.fileden.com/files/2010/3/22/2800754/cap_rear.jpg
http://www.fileden.com/files/2010/3/22/2800754/electronics.jpg
Anything else you see that stands out as being obviously bad or suspicious? I can take closeups of anything you want a better look at.
Thanks for all input.
Add pictures here
✖

Look under > electric motor repairs< ww
Add pictures here
✖

Yes, this is the place, assuming it it the cap.
Add pictures here
✖
5/370 should be the cap for the fan. Looks like the terminals are pretty badly rusted. GE had a bunch of bad caps. I'd be wanting to test that one for farads, and then replace it regardless of the reading.
I notice you have a big round cap (can't tell if it's double value, but at the moment it doesn't look like it) to the left.
You likely won't find replacement AC caps sold at retail. Might try "capacitors" in the yellow pages.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Actually the big horizontal fan at the top runs, the basic problem is the compressor isn't engaging. First noticed due to no "quish-quish- gurgle" in the freon line inside going into the air handler as should be happening. A few months ago when it was last fired up it was doing fine.

They are.
I did find a couple of dessicated dead lizards hung up in the electronics.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 3 May 2010 20:07:37 -0700 (PDT), brassplyer

Don't they both use one capacitor?

Those are there to increase the joule value. Don't remove them.
Add pictures here
✖
Some units use a dual value cap, but this one appears to be separate caps.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
brassplyer wrote:

Yellow pages? How quaint!
Enter "air conditioning capacitor" + {name of your town} in Google.
Take the presumed defective one with you. Say "Gimme one of these" to the guy at the counter.
Add pictures here
✖
How do you know it's the cap? You have to start with the basics first. When you turn down your t-stat to turn on the A/C, the contactor should click closed. If it doesn't, you have to look at that first.
Add pictures here
✖
Guy at counter will ask for tax license, and proof of being in the trade.
Yellow pages may be retro, but they still work. Even when the power is out.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Thats crap..Just send me $100 in cash and I will send you one.

Add pictures here
✖
I'll send one for $95.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I'll e-mail the cash to you.
Add pictures here
✖
Thanks. Just printed it out.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
brassplyer wrote:

I will email the capacitor right away.
Add pictures here
✖
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Yeah, but he will send in by Mormon mail and it will cost another $50. Those mules are real slow too.

Add pictures here
✖
Stormin Mormon wrote:

1. So, wait for the next customer. Approach him and say: "I'll give you $5.00 cash if you buy one of these for me."
2. The Yellow Pages DOES work if the power is out - but only half the time. It doesn't work, for example, during the night.
But, of course, the internet doesn't work at all during a power outage.
This latter can be overcome by a portable generator and WiFi.
Add pictures here
✖
HeyBub wrote:

$5 won't even buy a decent cup of Starbucks. Union rates indicate a minimum of $120.00

And a wind blowing over a block of ice.

Add pictures here
✖

Don't know about trade shops in your neck of the world, but here, in this economy, they don't care about who you are as long as you have money to pay for the items. Regarding the tax, here it is a VAT tax and they collect it from everybody, in or out the trade.
Add pictures here
✖
EXT wrote:

Lets just say that the Contractors Association got a wind of that and 92 contractors blackballed the vendor. Who would you rather have as a customer? 92 Contractors that each purchase from $50k to $500K and more per year or some dipstick that purchases a $15 dollar item once every 10 years. Also many Vendors require Contractors to guarantee so much $$$$ business per year to cover price fluxuations and amount of on site inventory. Can you imagine the ;awsuit if that contract was usurp by a mook off the street. The on street customers are ours and not the vendors. If you want the prices and availability..Put 8 years into becoming a contractor. You forgot Contractors excise tax by the way. You can't pay that to the state each month without a license and you are now well into the quasi-felony stage. You chumps that squeak when you walk are fun to poke with sharp sticks.
Add pictures here
✖