Internet Retailers... and the guy "STEVE"

Hell man, there's tons of internet retailers on the net selling top name brands. Steve is full of BUNK man. There aint no "void warranties buying on the internet! You crazy man...just crazy.

Reply to
Boyd

Sorry, I am only a certified master tech and contractor that has been business for 12 years. I only do 5 - 7 semester hours of continuing education every year to stay up on the latest technologies and equipment.... this includes things like changes in factory warranty policies too. FWIW, with every 14SEER or higher system that I sell and install, I include a 10 year extended parts *AND* labor warranty.... but thats one of the benifits of a *PAYING* customer. I also back up everything that I tell my customers in black and white, and then *SHOW* them any and all problems that will be corrected when the new system is installed. I can scan and e-mail you a copy of the warranty sheets for Rheem/RUUD that specifically states that home owners buying equipment over the internet has no warranty..... or if you want to research it yourself, go to the manufacturers web sites and do your own damn homework instead of trying to pull stuff out of your ass.

Now...take your sorry ass back to alt.home.repair

Reply to
Noon-Air

Reply to
DIMwit

Heh! heh! You have had your day in our court and have been found guilty of Bullshit. Now go away and annoy your neighbors.

Reply to
Don Ocean

Welllllll! Speak up boy. Cat got your tongue? We know your there. Wiggle your ears or something. ;-p

Reply to
Don Ocean

OK, so I checked the Manufacturer sites as you suggested and it looks like you are giving only HALF the story. Here is a CUT & PASTE from RUUD's site:

Q: What happens if I purchase Ruud equipment from an online sales company?

A: Ruud published warranties are not applicable for any equipment manufactured by Ruud that has been sold direct to the consumer via the internet or auction websites without an in-person site visit, inspection, and installation by a qualified, trained HVAC professional.

So I called Rheem and they told me that Alpine Home Air, AC Direct and AC Overstock are all run by LICENSED CONTRACTORS who require the home owner to contact a local installer to do the work or through their nationwide database the internet contractor will help teh consumer find an licensed installer. AC Direct has beenin business 7 years and offers FULL tech support and RUUD Often visit them in Orlando FL for dinner and meeting once a year.

So it looks like there are a few sites out there who are APPROVED. And I called them and they know their stuff. Do companies like thi sbother you because they are taking money off your table?

So are you say>

Reply to
John Freed

Actually I *DO* have a problem with it... If you want to buy your equipment over the internet and hire a hack to install it for beer money, thats your business, but.......

This is how I make my living, and the manufacturers are supposed to be looking out for their authorized dealers best interests. FWIW, my company policy is that we will *NOT* install any equipment that was not purchased from my company because of warranty and liability issues. My company's rates are based on what it costs to keep the doors open.... and I have been in business for 12 years.

I frequently run across folks who tried to save what they thought was going to be big bucks by doing as you suggest and in the long run, it costs them thousands more in repairs and all of the failures and other problems, not to mention the shortened life of the equipment. When you do this, and you get such a cheap "labor" price, you need to ask a lot of questions...like how do you know the equipment is the correct size for the structure?? How do you know the ductwork is correctly sized and designed for the new equipment?? Does the new equipment have R22, or R410a refrigerant?? How long has the installing company been in business?? What corners are they cutting to be able to install the equipment so cheaply?? Did the installing company pull a permit and get the job inspected?? Did you get the 10 year extended parts & labor warranty?? did you get the touch screen programmable control?? Did you get the first year filters free?? did you get the first year service free?? did the installing contractor haul away all of the old equipment??

So what did you really get for $4500?? a couple of boxes thrown in by the lowest bidder, with no warranty, no idea if its correctly charged or not, didn't even come with a new control(thermostat)... and having the system break down in the first year or 2. Yeah... soundl like a real bargin to me. Knock yourself out... I'll still be here when it craps out to come fix it.....and my supply house will not warranty any parts fro equipment that was not purchased from them. The serial number tells the tale.

Reply to
Steve

Obviously you may do what ever you wish to do. Thats nothing new.

Bother? Not really. They have their own little gig going. If thats what you want to deal with, have at it.

Here's the part where you are quite confused. A licensed professional company will NOT install equipment that you the home owner bought off the internet. Dont believe me? Start calling and see what you get. You will only find the hacks at the bars that will be willing to do it. Here is my policy. If you bought it I will be happy to install it. I take the price of the equipment you bought and I add my normal mark up just as if I bought it. Then I add my labor. Then I add all the stuff that you didnt purchase because you dont know what you are doing and then I mark that up. Finally, I get your full payment before I turn the first screw. Then when Im done you get to handle any and all warranty work because I offer no equipment warranty......only a warranty of proper installation. If you bought the wrong size equipment though, tough toenails for you. Sounds like a damn good bargain to me. How about you, Johnny? Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Go f*ck yourself jonn boy.

Reply to
ftwhd

Mike, There are lots of folks out there like him... looking for the lowest prices. I have been getting a bunch of calls now that folks are trying to use their furnaces and they don't work. One I went out to today was electric heat... had to re-wire the whole damn thing before I could even troubleshoot it to find out what was wrong because the owner had called Billy-Joe-Jim-Bob 6 times to the tune of over a grand, and it still didn't work. They have been without since July because they wasted their money on the local side job hack. My total bill even with having to re-wire the thing is a little less than half of that, and it works the way its supposed to, with a 90day warranty(its in a trailer or it would get a 1 year warranty). John Boi will be calling one of us or another competent, licensed, insured, professionally trained HVAC technician to fix all the screw ups.

Reply to
Noon-Air