insulatng return duct in attic

I have a centrl air unit installed in the attic; I was recently going duct by duct to make sure all connections were tight and insulated - during this process: I noted that the return duct which draws air from inside the house was insulated for the first few feet but then ran across the attic uninsulated until it went back into the unit. Am I mistaken or should the return that passes through the super heated air of the attic also be insulated? I spoke to a contractor friend of mine and he said it is common not to insulate the return - but it just seems wrong to me...
does not have to be....it's choice.

Is there any heat gained or lost through the uninsulated duct? IOW, is the temp of the air in the duct higher or lower than the environment it's in? Almost certainly the answer is yes. So, yes, the duct should be insulated and sealed. If the exposed portion isn't sealed I'd strip the insulation off the rest of it and seal and insulate the whole thing.
It may be common to not insulate it, but that doesn't make it right. The return air is maybe 80 degrees and the attic 120 or higher.
On 7 Oct 2006 02:12:17 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

--
We have met the enemy and they are us
and you are me and we are all together
Steve Scott wrote:

Right-on Steve, - the temp split could be even more, like 130 or 140-F to 72-F. The larger the temp differential the more heat transferred. In the winter the opposite situation also needs the insulation.
Also, on the off cycle the air in the duct could be a heat-overload on the A/C system.
- udarrell
http://www.udarrell.com/airconditioning_eer_ratings_over_seer_ratings_central_systems.html
On 7 Oct 2006 02:12:17 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

As long as your unit is big enough and you have plenty of cash for your utility bills, then everything is right with the world. Make sure your uninsulated return isnt insulated from the inside and you just dont see it. Bubba
So Bubba when did you actually do any HVAC work? Seems you spend most of your time here with your best friend from the trailer park.

"Poor Baby". What's wrong? Didnt get the free answer you were looking for? Life must suck to be you. Bubba
These three gents ok four have gave you right answer, Daytona, Steve Scott, Udaarrell and Bubba for change.
However? Unless is approved by PrecisionMachinisT, Paul Milligan, O jah and Al Moran
I am sorry it can not be right, hell that lives me in dismay? mmmm!

Ever notice how is grammar is bad at times and real bad at others? Me thinks an already stupid dumbass gets drunk and posts.

Alcohol can't be blamed for that much ignorance. Could be ouzo, though.
thank you , you guys all rock: i guess I will not be using my friend as MY contractor :-)
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Unless he brings the ribs bad the beer....and then does the work under your supervision