installing new systems ?

Page 2 of 2

No. When I made my rounds each morning and afternoon, I always stopped there just to make sure. We had a very loud alarm system on the building. CY: Neat, glad they had some warning devices.

Good tip. Never heard of that. CY: someething new, every day.

Nope. They didn't have A/C then so I took a later boat. CY: Yeah, I guess Lehi got the stripped down model. Well, when you're fleeing Jerualum for your life, what can you do? Can't be choosy.
Years ago, I was working at the Salk Institute in La Jolla and there was an older guy who came in to the cafeteria for coffee every afternoon. When asked how old he was, he always said, "I've lived a thousand years!" I wasn't aware of the ramifications of his comment then, but I do now....... CY: It's a metal life. Teeth of gold, hair of silver, feet of lead. I'm on that path. Silver teeth, and what hair remains, turning silver. And the lead butt, well, I'm having more trouble getting up ladders, for example.
On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 11:56:40 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

Heh, a metal life? That sure says it all. I do ok on ladders, my problem is getting back to my feet after lying down on the roof to work on a unit. I retired Dec/07. I should have gone out Dec 04. I could have dealt with a lower retirement income but without medicare, insurance would have taken too much income, about $1300 a month for a man at age 62. Had to drag it out to 65. In 08 I found myself under the knife for a ruptured appendix. The bills for hospital and surgeon went over $38,000.
I've been noticing, that I'm needing more aches and pains pills, as time goes on. Havn't had any major surgeries, or body parts removed. Some on this list think I had most of my brain removed, but that's for another post.
We should team up with The Daring Dufas, and form "Three Cripples HVAC". When I have my hearing aids in, I can do the telephone dispatching. What?
Heh, a metal life? That sure says it all. I do ok on ladders, my problem is getting back to my feet after lying down on the roof to work on a unit. I retired Dec/07. I should have gone out Dec 04. I could have dealt with a lower retirement income but without medicare, insurance would have taken too much income, about $1300 a month for a man at age 62. Had to drag it out to 65. In 08 I found myself under the knife for a ruptured appendix. The bills for hospital and surgeon went over $38,000.
On 3/18/2012 7:03 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

If I didn't hurt so bad all the time, I'm sure I could do more work. Since my friend GB passed away last year at age 71, I haven't been involved in much residential work because he owned the mechanical company. I went around to the various supply houses closing accounts that were in his name and making sure all the outstanding bills were taken care of. Now I get calls from his wife and daughters when they have a problem with technology but I don't mind, they're like adopted family anyway. ^_^
TDD
Well, maybe I can do some of the truck work. Long as I take my pills.
You can work from the bunker, guide the action by cell phone.

If I didn't hurt so bad all the time, I'm sure I could do more work. Since my friend GB passed away last year at age 71, I haven't been involved in much residential work because he owned the mechanical company. I went around to the various supply houses closing accounts that were in his name and making sure all the outstanding bills were taken care of. Now I get calls from his wife and daughters when they have a problem with technology but I don't mind, they're like adopted family anyway. ^_^
TDD

I'm just trying to keep from having to go under the knife for my back *again*. its pretty well controlled now with the chiropractor and medications from the MD.... next step will be an MRI. Thank GOD I am retired military and have TriCare Prime.
Best wishes. I hope you are pain free forever, and your back is totally in allignment.
I'm just trying to keep from having to go under the knife for my back *again*. its pretty well controlled now with the chiropractor and medications from the MD.... next step will be an MRI. Thank GOD I am retired military and have TriCare Prime.
On 3/16/2012 8:08 AM, John Rhosos wrote:

You really are a hack! n

15% silphos, oxyacetylene, purge with N2 while brazing, filter/drier, 400 micron vacuum, charge liquid by subcooling and superheat.
Because of the nature of R410a, if you don't do it right, you will have problems. You won't be able to "get away with" short cuts, or doing it cheap. I have been called to fix several systems that were less than 2 years old with major problems because the home owners thought they could "get by" with the same crap they did with R22.
On 3/13/2012 7:31 AM, Steve wrote:

Back in the olden days of R22, I know a guy who would never pull a vacuum on a system, he would just blow R22 through it to blow the air out and he refused to spend the money for a safety disconnect outside or inside. I don't know what the guy is doing with R410a systems or if he is even installing or servicing any. o_O
TDD

The old R22 systems and the new 410 a Systems dont required high temp soldering at the unit connections or at the cooling coil connections. While the internal operating pressures are higher than R22 , they are not so excessive that it demands brazing or silver soldering UNLESS you desire to . Otherwise, use low temp. solder and it will be just fine . Ive never had a leak using low temp. solder on ANY unit connectors and I use low temp. Staybrite . Further, if youre going to braze, you run the chance of annealing the copper and causing oxidation inside the copper , so if youre going to braze you better be purging with nitrogen to avoid this which requires a little more experience than the typical shade-tree A/C man such as yourself.

Bullshit... Silver solder and /or brazing are a necessity due to equipment vibration. Plumbers solder doesn't cut it. water pressure are nominally 50 lbs and do not have the sharp spike and drops in pressure that cooling gases do. You have never had a leak because they called someone else for the repair.
. Otherwise, use low temp. solder

No shit... I guess you didn't note Steve's comments on using Nitrogen for *ANY* soldering or brazing of coolant lines. I suggest that you and Stormy both attend a hands on class for Eutectics connecting of cooling lines. Maybe Steve would have the patience to educate you!
, so if youre going to

Rubbish. Low temp (430 f.) Staybrite solder has been used for donkeys years on residential a/c systems on the liquid and suction lines and has stood up well even under prolonged very high head pressures . The 3 year Trade School i went to taught such as do all the books. High temp brazing is required only for the compressor . You can braze the residential a/c unit connections if you want, but it is not necessary . AND...plumbers solder is 95/5 and 50/50 . On a 'commercial' Condensing Unit, I would go with brazing ... silver solder or sil foss on everything . And the residential a/c units ive installed were for customers who continued to use me for my entire HVAC career...again...without any connection leaks that i originally made . Stop the guffaw .

Bull!

I did, but had trouble getting it to stick.
How do I get all the duct tape residue cleaned off? I think that's my problem.
On 3/14/2012 10:52 AM, TimR wrote:

Use the aluminum duct tape, it burns off easier. ^_^
TDD
Thanks guys. It seemed logical that I could continue to silver solder but I figured no harm in seeing if others think so too.
Some of my r22 systems I soldered are quite a few years old and still no leaks. And I got the same story on them from some people, "it going to start leaking". If it didn't leak when I pulled a vacuum it never leaked.
I like the tranes I have because they used teflon rings for the compressor connections inside the units. New teflon rings and you're ready to go. And there's only about 3 sizes on the residential units so it's easy to keep a few handy. Wish they did that on the reversing valve.