Indoor dryer vent "heaters"?

Hello,

I recently had to replace my dryer vent hose and when at Home Depot saw that they sell attachments that you can use to vent the dryer indoors, providing heat for the room. Seems like a cool idea especially since our washer/dryer are in a room that is very difficult to heat, except I wonder about the humidity that also comes out with the air. Do these things steam up the room while heating it?

Thanks, Nate

Reply to
Nate C.

washer/dryer

I had one in my previous home, which had an electric dryer. You can put a women's nylon stocking over the outlet and catch the lint. It worked pretty well. If you don't have a humidifier, the extra humidity is welcome, too. Just make sure there is ventilation in the laundry room, and it doesn't get too damp.

I now have a gas dryer, which, of course, you don't want to vent inside.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

I actually tied some cheese cloth onto the back of the dryer before re-attaching the new tube and there was literally water dripping from the walls after a cycle. I was afraid to rot the room from the inside out so I went with the outdoor vent for now. I'm just wondering if any of these vents specifically made for the indoors have a humidity trap as well as a lint trap.

Reply to
Nate C.

Not that I know of. You might condense 12 pounds of water with 12K Btu of coolth, which would raise the temp of 500 pounds of water 24 F. You might put 114 2-liter soda bottles in 3 vertical stacks of 38 in a plastic 55 gallon drum and run the dryer vent into a hole near the bottom, with a smaller and lower hole to let the water drain out.

Or hang up the clothes to dry, for a slower release of moisture that natural air leaks can handle with no condensation indoors.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Reply to