Indoor Air Quality.

I was getting some prices today from Johnstone and a couple of others for Ultraviolet Duct systems. Johnstone tells me they have only sold about 6 all year. A couple of years ago, they were all the rage. We do have a lot of people with breathing problems that require top filter systems etc due to an aging population. We also have a radon Gas problem as the entire state sits on decaying granite. Along of course with the usual mold, some of it black. I am curious what other area's are doing to curtail virus, spores and to give a better IAQ for our less healthy oldsters etc. I have installed a number of these items including ultraviolet over the years. Do any of you folks install much of that any more? This is a serious problem as most of us never make it past 90 years old. Thats a long time to labor unhealthy lungs.

Ozone generators are cheaper and way more effective for killing bacteria.
O3 is great stuff!

UV light does nothing for radon, I'm sure you know that.
I installed an outside air intake into the return duct of my furnace. A *small* amount of the return air is pulled in from outside. Yeah, I know I'm paying some more for heat bacause of this but the air in my home is pretty fresh in the winter so I think it is a good tradeoff.
Mark
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Radon is treated by sealing basements etc. But it still roams around in the open air. ;-p

Actually that is code here. We have to bring in 10% outside air to mix with the supply air. It originally started out as 26% by International code. We do use equipment to transfer outgoing heated airs energy to incoming air etc.