Importance of matching evaporator to condenser?

Hi all -

I've scanned the newsgroup postings and still haven't found a definitive answer to my question.

We have an old (1930's vintage) building with an existing hydronic heating system that we want to add some cooling to.

This has a very low velocity air flow and big ducts to keep sound levels low. (think 'movie theatre')

The output port of the fan is about 36x48 inches going into the heating plenum chamber. We're thinking of putting a couple of 5-ton sized evaporators at the fan outlet (these will have about the same area as the fan outlet), but our problem is that this old building's electrical system can only support 5 tons of compressor without a major wiring upgrade.

What would happen if we fed the two 5-ton evaporators with only 5 tons of refrigeration? Would we still get the 60K btu of cooling distributed over the two evaporators, or would this just be a major CF?

Thanks for any advice. Postings to the newsgroup would be preferred as the reply-address is spamtrapped.

Carla Ah, the good old days, when the terminals were dumb and the users were smart....

Reply to
Carla Fong

Major CF

Reply to