Igniter Life

Page 2 of 2

Thanks for the response--agree with your initial comment -, should have been more specific. The igniter in my furnace is one of the 80 volt types; hope it lasts longer than the first one--especially so since the furnace has to run unattended for about a month while we are away enjoying the warmth of Florida. I never worried about the old dinosaur that I used to have--an oversized 100K BTU furnace (vs 60K now) installed in 1961; had its first problem about 1990--a clogged pilot burner orifice. Finally retired it in 2005. What we have now is heads and shoulders above the the dinosaur in both in heating cost and the extra comfort associated with the even heating etc. but its electronics and reliability are worrisome to me. MLD

You have money to live in Florida... then purchase a Sensaphone system... it'll call you when the temperature of the home falls below a particular set point. You can even call your home and check the status on Power, Temp, etc... vary nice unit.

Not that much money--stop off three times----twice with family and once for a short motel (by the week) stay. Womb to tomb, including travel time, is only about 3 weeks but still better than nothing. I've looked into the "freeze alarm" systems but there are a couple of drawbacks with the ones that I've seen. They don't work too well, compatibility wise, if you have a telephone/answering system in place. And you need someone trustworthy who will take on the responsibility of coming into the home, be willing to arrange for a service call, hang around for the service tech (the company I have my contract with will only give a 6 hour window) and then hang around to oversee the process. All my family lives too far away or out of state to be able to perform this function. I do have someone who makes a quick house check about once a week. I also take some simple preventative measures--shut off main water valve, open faucets and let the water drain, put RV antifreeze in all the fixtures and traps ----Primarily, I just keep my fingers crossed that the system performs troublefree for a few weeks. MLD
MLD wrote:

Many colleges have a system of students that check in, feed pets or even stay in the home for a very reasonable rate.
spaces for comments ):

A local alarm company could also provide temp alarms. He could have it set up so the alarm company calls a prearranged hvac company to respond.