Ideal Delta T?

Hi, 100th year Stampede is in full swing this week with hot weather. Temperature is hovering around 30C which is too hot for our standard. For curiosity I took a Delta T reading which was ~18F. Is it acceptable? Or do I need to have cooling system checked out. During annual check up in the spring tech did not notice or mention anything. TIA,
Delta T between which two readings? Compressor discharge and suction?
Hi, 100th year Stampede is in full swing this week with hot weather. Temperature is hovering around 30C which is too hot for our standard. For curiosity I took a Delta T reading which was ~18F. Is it acceptable? Or do I need to have cooling system checked out. During annual check up in the spring tech did not notice or mention anything. TIA,
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Hi, I just measured temp/ etween ducts with probe on my Fluke. When I look at line near the ODU the bigger line was sweating pretty good.

AC do two things, remove humidity, and cool the air. If the supply duct is 18 degrees cooler than the return duct, you're doing well.
It's normal for the large copper tube to have water condense on it.
Near the outdoor unit, the small copper line should be within a couple degrees of the outdoor temp. Sometimes there is a filter drier, you can check the temp with IR thermometer. If the small line is much hotter than outdoor temp, (with outdoor unit running) then your outdoor unit needs to be professionally cleaned. Recycling the heat, instead of blowing the heat out.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Hi, I just measured temp/ etween ducts with probe on my Fluke. When I look at line near the ODU the bigger line was sweating pretty good.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Hi, Thanks. I am waiting for IR temp. reader I ordered. Lately HVAC guys in town is working like mad to clear the 3 weeks back log of new unit install. Parts supply house is running out of stock. At Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart fans. window units are all sold out. .

Hey, send some of that work my way! I've had some work, but nothing like that. Send me a couple jobs, I'll throw in an AC tune up for you.
Makes me wonder how many of those new installs could be fixed with something simple, like a wirenut?
Hi, Thanks. I am waiting for IR temp. reader I ordered. Lately HVAC guys in town is working like mad to clear the 3 weeks back log of new unit install. Parts supply house is running out of stock. At Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart fans. window units are all sold out. .
Chris You can have all my customers I close the shop end of last month I was averaging 240k per year and no takers in my area, I am selling all and moving to west cost.

On 7/12/2012 7:07 PM, Grumpy wrote:

I'll retire when I'm dead and I'll bet folks will still be calling on me to fix something. ^_^
TDD
Will that be a long distance call, to reach you?
I'll retire when I'm dead and I'll bet folks will still be calling on me to fix something. ^_^
TDD
That's a kind offer. Any of your customers in western NY? I'm near Rochester, if that's any help. I'm solidly in debt, and can't offer you the money you deserve.

On Wednesday, July 11, 2012 11:09:42 PM UTC-5, Tony Hwang wrote:

18 f. TD across the evaporator is acceptable and good. Lots of variables associated with TD but it is a good general sign when you have close to a 20 f drop .