iQ Drive

Has anyone had any experience with the Frigidaire, Tappan, Maytag Westinghouse (Nordyne) Seer 23 iQ Drive Compressor and furnace. The compressor can ramp down to 900 rpm with an inverter. I believe that the condensor fan also is variable along with the furnace fan. Is it worth the cost differential over say a 16 Seer or 19 Seer 2 speed scroll as far as long term payback. Inverter technology is hardly new being around for many years. One advantage mentioned is that it is not so large compared to some units with Seer in the 20's, also mentioned is extreme quietness.

Al

Reply to
AL

Al,

This is a very attractive but poorly described design. As an electrical engineer watching the video, I was surprised to find that the inverter PC board seemed to have small, low power dissipation components. Since they make a variable frequency inverter and use the inverter output frequency to control the compressor speed, it would seem that they would be forced to chop / switch the output to the compressor with large triacs or some other electronic switch with tens of amps being switched / chopped to the compressor. The fact that they don't appear to have big switching devices surprises me, since this would be the classical way to design and build the AC inverter. If they were driving a variable speed DC compressor rather than using an AC to AC inverter, I would expect similarly large components as well.

If buying this unit, I would be especially interested in seeing the details of the warranty, both parts and labor, particularly on the compressor and electronics. Carrier's InfinityS at 21 SEER is pretty damn close in SEER, has a traditional 2 stage scroll compressor, and may be cheaper, so I certainly would consider the Infinity as another very worthy alternative, possibly with less risk and lower cost.

Wonder if any of the group here has some practical and direct experience with either approach / system?

Smarty

Reply to
Smarty

SEER really doesn't mean anything.... EER does.

Reply to
Steve

Thank you!

Reply to
Zyp

Your welcome...

BTW... my "entry level" (14SEER) systems are a minimum of 12.00 EER. :-)

Reply to
Noon-Air

If your selling heat pumps at all and not using hspf calcs then you still are leaving your customers in the dark.

ADD backup heating and it gets even more complex if you wanna come out squeeky clean then IIRC KJ has a spreadheet...prolly come nighttime he sleeps better than you do too....

Reply to
over a barrel

We don't have 9 months of winter here in south Mississippi. The only reason most of the air handlers even have strips in them here is so they don't blow snowballs when it goes into defrost.

Why would I have a problem sleeping??

Reply to
Noon-Air

Yep, sure do...

Reply to
KJPRO

We dont have 9 months of winter here either but still maybe your getting warmer...

Hspf anyone ?

Not sure exactly why you would wanna persue this particular angle of reasoning at this late an hour but guessing that it must be at least after midnight there at this point in time and since your still up I guess its NN dude sleep on it.is all

Reply to
over a barrel

Pass....

I have caught some really nice bass out of some of these ponds in the past... 8 - 12 lbs.

Reply to
Noon-Air

Nice fish there then we used to fish for bass in the swamp bordering the north pasture when I was a kid they never got over a few lbs though.

Definately had to fillet cause if you left any skin on em then the whole goddamned pan tasted like mud.

Reply to
over a barrel

Correct.

And FWIW Beaver is actually fairly good eating even considered a delicacy by many but the game laws have become quite the quagmire in recent years too many kids, unintended animals, have gotten caught up in the traps...Fur value notwithstanding, the meat is excellent smoked or roasted on an open spit, though IMO oven baked they are a bit greasy.

=====

over a barrel

Something that clams are pretty much completely useless for...

Reply to
over a barrel

This thread is just one simple example of what a bunch of useless trash this group offers. A gentleman named Al posts a very legitimate question 5 days ago asking whether anybody can offer him some help regarding high SEER iQ Drive equipment, and the ONLY replies this group has to offer in the dozen or more messages talk about spreadsheets, fishing, and eating beaver. You are a pathetic group of losers acting like a bunch of teenage jerks. Shame on you!

Smarty

Reply to
Smarty

Oh my..Such a tither over nothing.. You, Farty and In the barrel are only here because your own groups have disenfranchised you. When I was supervising Engineer at a Rockwell research facility, it was my nasty duty to have to fire Psychologically unfit personal, such as you. If you can't take the heat move on.. Until then expect the folks here to continue to entertain themselves poking you with a sharp stick. I really don't remember anyone inviting you into our elite group anyway. Don't you think it is rather rude of you to impose your nose into our NG without even the smalles of invitations?

Reply to
Don Ocean

Then you'll be leaving, Putz?

Reply to
KJPRO

Hey f*****ad do the math for him then then 16 seer vs 23 how

And btw vfd and servo drives in general have gotten to be way smaller these days and so I would suggest familiarize yourself with them before spouting off about heat sinks and triacs and traditional switching methods etc. Most currently I have been setting up a mix of baldor fanuc yaskawa toshiba mitsubishi glentek servo dynamics amc copley controls berger lahr stuff now go f*ck yourself.

Reply to
over a barrel

over a barrel posted for all of us...

If they are bearded...