I am getting a new AC/HEAT inside and out ADVICE?

I am rebuilding after a house fire. It is time to get the AC/HEAT sorted. I live in South Florida * Variable speed unit Yes or No * I will sell this house when the market returns and I have some equity in the house again so 5 to 7 years I will be living here. What Brand should I get ? What SEER to get ? Electric or Gas heat, I have both available? I am meeting with my installer on Saturday and he will install what I provide or ask him to get, install quote will be the same. He gave me a baseball quote and was within $100 of the guy my contractor had qoute the job. Anything I am missing ?
Thanks in advance.
Jim
-------------------------------------
I am rebuilding after a house fire. It is time to get the AC/HEAT sorted. I live in South Florida * Variable speed unit Yes or No * I will sell this house when the market returns and I have some equity in the house again so 5 to 7 years I will be living here. What Brand should I get ? What SEER to get ? Electric or Gas heat, I have both available? I am meeting with my installer on Saturday and he will install what I provide or ask him to get install quote will be the same. He gave me a baseball quote and was within $100 of the guy my contractor had qoute the job. Anything I am missing ?
Thanks in advance.
Jim

Yes, a heat calc to properly size your replacement equipment; an evaluation of your ductwork; deliverd costs of electric and gas to name a few.
I am rebuilding after a house fire. It is time to get the AC/HEAT sorted. I live in South Florida * Variable speed unit Yes or No * I will sell this house when the market returns and I have some equity in the house again so 5 to 7 years I will be living here. What Brand should I get ? What SEER to get ? Electric or Gas heat, I have both available? I am meeting with my installer on Saturday and he will install what I provide or ask him to get, install quote will be the same. He gave me a baseball quote and was within $100 of the guy my contractor had qoute the job. Anything I am missing ?
Thanks in advance.
Jim
-------------------------------------
acbysean had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/hvac/I-am-getting-a-new-AC-HEAT-inside-and-out-ADVICE-39395-.htm : Yes, go with variable speed. Much more efficient and quieter than a direct drive motor.Gas heats much better then any heat pump and or heat strip. Also look into if you can at a two speed cooling system. These are typically are called in Trane a 16i, 19i,and if you have a package unit they're called 16c. But I do want to inform you that just because it says 19i or 16i does not mean it is actually a 16 or 19 seer. The way they are tested under perfect conditions are using a 2 and or 2.5 ton. Thats where they get there seer rating and the name 16i, 19i, 16c. So if you need a 5 ton it will not be a 16 or 19 seer. People are miss informed on this all the time. Companies sell these higher seer rating units in 4-5 ton units and being 16 and 19 seer when its actually 14 or 15. The bigger the unit the lower the seer. There might be a tax credit too which will be nice at the end of the year but thats usually only on high seer ratings I am a fan of Trane personally cause I have worked on and with the company and they're great to work with.I believe you get what you pay for. But also I have seen companies sell a lesser name brand for the same price as a Trane. They cost more but well worth it and when you purchase your new equipment get an EXTENDED WARRANTY. I know I am not a fan of extended warr. but when it comes to HVAC equipment and have worked with just about every manufacture they are well worth the extra $1,000, should not be much more then that. Also make sure that there is a heat load calculation done. Good luck. OH: by the way make sure whoever does the work is a company that will be there when you call with a problem. Check google reviews and other review places. miniestate wrote:

-------------------------------------

yes
and??
Having been a Rheem dealer for many years, I am partial to Rheem, and so is Consumer Reports.

14 or better

I just put a hybrid system in my own home. 14SEER heat pump with 2 stage, variable speed gas furnace.

Yeah.... manual J and manual D calculations to correctly size the system and ductwork for your home.
Oh yeah,,,, almost forgot... "The bitter taste of a poor quality installation will linger far longer than the initial sweetness of a low price."

your welcome.

Here's a Q:
Is it possible to get the sweet taste of a quality installation done by an over-priced beer-swilling moron?
--
EA