HVAC training.

Hey, all. My brother is looking to get into HVAC in western NH (Keene). H e already has a class-A CDL with hazmat, and does propane deliveries, but i s getting tired of being laid off when it gets warm. He has great work eth ic, and really just wants to be a full time, permanent contributor. There really aren't any schools within driving distance that offer HVAC training. So we have a few questions:

1) Would on-line training be something realistic to pursue?

2) It seems as if it costs about $50K to get even on-line training; is that in the ballpark?

3) Is there value in him starting courses while working, and getting more e xperience while he works in the field?

4) Apparently, in NH at least, one year's education is pretty much the mini mum before you can start doing apprenticeships. Does that sound about righ t?

Any advice you guys could offer would be gratefully accepted.

Thanks,

-Ken

Reply to
ravenpi

I have seen classes offered at community colleges at a small fraction of that price. Maybe he should investigate them? You can buy a lot of gas for $50,000 (or move closer).

Reply to
Bill

Well, yeah --the individual courses are usually a couple grand each. But ( for example) the local community college, as well as the on-line place, off er two years of courses; multiply it out, and it's in the several-tens-of-t housands by the time all is said and done.

So I guess the question is, can he take just a few courses, and know enough to be of value? Either start angling for a certification or an apprentice ship? We're just trying to figure out the best/quickest/least expensive wa y to get him to the point where he knows enough to have it be attractive to potential employers.

Thanks for your reply!

-Ken

Reply to
ravenpi

At Henry Ford Community College (Dearborn, MI), tuition is $82/hr locally versus $147/hr out of state.

63 hours in their HVAC program (apparently). $147*63 = $9261. I'm not saying that there wouldn't be additional fees and expenses, but that's not exactly several-tens-of-thousands.

What is expensive is being idle. With the down-sizing of Ford Motor Co. there, property in Dearborn is in a buyer's market.

Good luck!

Reply to
Bill

There are a fair number of "displaced worker" training grants from various government organizations. If you qualify, you might be able to do that.

The other possiblity is a union training program.. but you will probably have to be in a city where you don't have a union hall full of senior guys polishing the benches, waiting for work.

But.. HVAC, especially at the entry level is a "young person's" trade.. 'cus as the grunt you get to do all the "fun" stuff like hauling replacment compressors up ladders etc!

Reply to
No Body

Yes, I was thinking that between "local" tuition and some government assistance, might be able to get it down to maybe 25% of that.

Reply to
Bill

He probably could shadow me, for far less. I'm no doubt the best this forum has even seen. When not busy with HVAC, we could work on locksmithing, or volunteer at the church.

Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Wow.. I thought they banned indentured survitude years ago!

Reply to
No Body