Humming Sound During Burn Period

Issue: Gas furnace hums during ignition but blower works and output appear unaffected.
Details: I have an American Standard GUF120D E3 H 120,000 BTU natural gas furnace with a bonnet capacity of 96000 and a 1/5 hp motor. When the thermostat calls for the burner to ignite, I hear an electric hum like a motor trying to start. This continues for about half a minute during the burn, fades out, the burn continues for a short period longer, then the blower kicks in as usual.
I found a website with a flow chart of a common gas furnace mechanism (http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/FurnaceFlowChart.htm ). Though this appears to be from a site dealing with mobile homes and my home is not mobile, I assume there are similarities. According to this chart, theres an induced draft motor different from a blower motor that gets triggered in the front end of a burn cycle. If thats what I have, Id venture to bet I need a new draft motor.
Anyone have sufficient knowledge to help solve this? I could use a flow chart for my particular furnace as well. I've emailed American Standard for a manual but if there's something on the web, I'd appreciate being steered to it.
On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 15:10:28 -0700 (PDT), jaygreg

Please hold your furnace up to the monitor, I can't see it from here to tell you what's wrong.

Cause, it doesn't know the words.
[...]
Maybe if you were to pick up the phone and call a local, competent(not the lowest price), licensed, insured, professionally trained HVAC technician, they can actually lay hands on, and find out exactly what the problem is. OTOH, if you had a service agreement, your furnace would have already been serviced, and the problem already solved, and repaired at a discounted rate.
Pay me now, or pay me later.

I'm after education, Steve. Looks like the resources are slim here. If the unit were "broken"... I'd be getting comments from the repairman!

I'm after education, Steve. Looks like the resources are slim here. If the unit were "broken"... I'd be getting comments from the repairman!
--------------------------------------
Education is a good thing... I just had another class I attended last night...didn't see you there.

.
If your still in class, Steve... maybe we better let someone else answer who has a bit more education than both of us!

Correction! That should be youre; not your. Know the difference, Steve?

Correction! That should be youre; not your. Know the difference, Steve?
---------------------------
Its called "continuing education", and is required to keep up with the new technologies, and the changes in equipment lines, as well as the technical aspects. 5 - 7 semester hours a year is about right.
I guess your vocation doesn't require any additional training or education.
As furnace and AC equipment changes, the manufacturers host seminars and classes for techs who are already in the field. This allows the working techs to learn new skills. [your you're] comment is a bit off mark, as [your, you're] trying to insult the guy, but [your, you're] missing the mark. I'll let you choose spelling in each case, and see if [your, you're] getting it right.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Hummm. Is that the way Jesus would answer, Mormon?
I doubt it. He'd send the Holy Ghost to whisper the answer in your ear. I have to write on a computer screen. I'm so, so, earthy in my replies.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
[...]
One small point... I doubt you only have a 1/5hp motor in a 120,000btu furnace....unless its the induced draft blower motor.....but like I said in another post, your local, competent, licensed, insured, professionally trained, HVAC technician can tell you if you *need* a new motor. We can't see it, hear it, or test it through a computer screen.
If you want education, call your local vo-tech and they will set you up.
Might. If it was repaired by Shears. One time during my trying out period when I did work for Shears. My trainer put a 1/4 HP blower motor to replace a 1/2. Cause if he went back to the shop for parts, it would have penalized him. As it happened, he got credit for a first time complete. I wasn't very happy with him, but didn't have the authority to say anything.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus