How to respond to this particular resident

I have this guy in a 1552 sq ft mobile home, w/ a 3 ton unit...The A/C guy came and put freon in the unit and stated all is well.. 89 degree day, 69 coming out of registers. Will cycle off at 75 degrees. Runs continuously at 74 degrees. The resident wants to put the T'stat on 71 and says that if he puts it on 71 it should do 71... Should I call a different A/C company? Is his request valid? He is a pain, but I do want to know what my next option I should be. I put a thermometer at the register and it read 69 and then I put the same at the t'stat and it read 75 w/ the t'stat set on 74. The A/C guy did say the temp at the coil and the return air was at the right temperature...(?)

thanks for any advice you can suggest.

MikeL

Reply to
MikeL

Call a different AC company. It's not even CLOSE to working.

Reply to
.p.jm.

malrescuesite.com/

thanks for your reply Paul....

I am really sorry...I stand corrected...It was 59 coming out of the register, not 69....

still call another A/C company?

Reply to
MikeL

!!!

Yep. 74 - 59 = 15 - nowhere NEAR good enough.

Reply to
.p.jm.

With that big a difference in temps, might be air flow problems. I've seen trailers, where the evaporator is all rotted out, and no where near enough air flow.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

thanks for the feedback and the suggestion....I will call a different company...

What should be the difference, if you don't mind me asking?

thanks again!

Reply to
MikeL

20 - 25
Reply to
.p.jm.

It's normal for ceiling to be a couple degrees warmer than the floor. I'm not sure there is a standard. Maybe five degrees or so. But 59 to 71 seems a bit much.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've got this guy coming out Friday to replace the evap coil for $750...I thought an AC company could capture the freon and use it again?? This guy said he could not...is this not a common practice to re-use the same freon if its not contaminated? Or am I being double charged? :-)

MikeL

Reply to
MikeL

Recovery cylinders have the remains of every tom dick and harrys ref in them. Most guys want to use virgin ref to make sure the job is right. other guys, mostly of the mormon persuasion would f*ck you to tears with that good deal of putting harry dick nasty ref mixed with yours in your system.

Reply to
The King

I've got this guy coming out Friday to replace the evap coil for $750...I thought an AC company could capture the freon and use it again?? This guy said he could not...is this not a common practice to re-use the same freon if its not contaminated? Or am I being double charged? :-)

MikeL

Only $750?? Thats way too cheap... add a grand to that, and then your probably dealing with a *legitmate* company. OTOH, replacing that coil is throwing away good money when you will use a whole lot less energy and be a lot more environmentaly responsible with a new system...... but its you money, you can throw it away on an old system if you want. I hope you enjoy giving all that "extra" money to the power company.

Reply to
Steve

For evaporator repair, it's possible to pump the freon into the condensor, and save it that way.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hope the service company also cleans the condensor.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Unless its mobile home junk, no service valves on that crap, but you should already know that.

Reply to
Steve

Thank you for a polite and respectful comment (for once). Yes, PTAC with tubes to blow air into mobile homes seldom have shut off valves like residential and commercial equipment.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon