How to change oil in a rotary compressor?

Page 3 of 3
On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 20:45:55 -0400, The King

    No, 'rotary compressor' refers to a very specific design, and is not a generic term for 'compressors that spin round and round in some way or fashion'.
    A screw compressor is a screw compressor, not a 'rotary'.

www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Could be wrong but looks like a scroll compressor to me. If a scroll compressor is considered a rotary compressor then any rotating pump/compressor could be considered rotary.
The OP stated an oil change in an rotary air conditioner compressor. The rotary screw type normally are filled with oil. Is the scroll type or the youtube link type filled with oil?

I know of three sub categories of rotary.
* Screw * Rotary vane * Rotary scroll
For smaller AC, I think rotary vane is common.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

compressor out of the system, turn it upside down and drain it. measure what you take out and put the same amount back in. You may be able to suck it out of the discharge line and pump it back in. That depends on your know how. Its going to take at least three oil changes to get the mineral oil down to an acceptable level. You need a rather expensive refractometer to measure the oil percentages between the POE oil and the mineral oil. You only have 15 mins to get the new oil in and the system sealed up. Otherwise youve wasted more of your time.

From what I have read the last days on the Internet it could be so that also the lower part of the compressor is connected to the HP side thanks to the oil pump (a hollow main axle). Draining oil from the suction pipe may not be possible since the suction pipe seems to be directely connected to the compressor chamber intake. Drilling a small hole also in the bottom part ("sump") could be the way to empty the compressor from oil.
/Lars S
You can use ordinary propane from the gas cooker bottle as it is same press ure PT as R22 then no need to change the oil at all. Have done this for ove r 10 years now with old r22 equipment. No problems with compatability but e nsure you check the superheat is sufficient. Be careful gas is flamable. If you realy want to change the oil I agree turn the rotary upside down and t urn it on and blow the oil out the discharge and fill it back up through th e suction accumulator while its running to help suck it in. Also use a 100% liquid dryer to dry your poe oil as I imagine it will get a little wet fro m moisture gain from the air.
[...]
I have Bay the new rotary compressor I have to charge oil or not