How to change oil in a rotary compressor?

Page 1 of 3
Hello, Im new to this forum. I have a brand new small R22 Fuji rotary (on/off) compressor which I intend to use for 407C and therefore an oil change to Ester type is neccesary. Can only drain oil (~300ml) out of a hole I drilled close to the connection (HP) non from the suction line (muffler is removed). From what I have read there should be some oil also in the lower (suction) part or...?
/Lars S
On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 11:50:07 -0700 (PDT), Lars S

    Take it to Jiffy Lube.
    Tell them you want 'The Works'.
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Years ago, I drained the oil out of a window AC rotary, by tipping it upside down. Then power it up, and the oil blows out the high side.
You may be able to pump the new oil in, through the high side line.
Drilling a hole in the compressor shell? I hope you have the ability to weld it shut?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Thanks Christopher! Yes welding is no problem, I know many refr engineers but no one knows how to change oil...
If I only fill oil in the high side, will the suction side run dry until oil has been recirculated?
/Lars S
Someday I should cut open one of those rotary compressors. As I understand it, the high pressure side goes to the area around the pump. If it were an automotive engine, what would be called the crankcase. So, pumping oil in the high side should be same as filling the crankcase. The oil should lubricate nearly immediately. You won't get 100% of the old oil out, so there should be enough to lube for the first couple seconds.
That's just my experience from trying it with one compressor.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Why not get a compressor with the correct oil in it in the first place??

Thats logical, but the reason is that got this new compressor for free some time ago and it fits wery well (except for the oil) in my project which will be much cheaper to realize if I dont have to buy a new one.
Everyone with ideas around oil change in rotarys are welcome!
/Lars S
Please be kind enough to tell us what you're doing. You building a walk in cooler, or what?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

No, this is a heat pump project, the evaporator is approx 50m copper tube in the soil, the condenser is indoors blowing hot air. These systems are quite common up in our arctic regions. For me it is a low cost project were I can find most of the parts for free since I work in conjuction with a refrigeration company.
/Lars S
Hmm. So, you'd need a low temp referigerant, to absorb heat at low temps. R-22 could work.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Yes R22 should work and also it should work with the mineral based oil in the compressor...but R22 is forbidden and not available in my country since about 10 years :=( The gas to use in these applications nowdays is (normally) R407C, wery similar to R22 in pressure etc but ester oil is needed.
/Lars S
Got to love the environmental people. How they protect us from problems that aren't really a problem.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

You could use NU-22 as a R22 replacement and you can use mineral oil with it. BTW Stormy is a idiot posing as a hvac tech as his remark about using a low temp ref shows. R-22 is not typically used in a low temp applications. It can be used as such but it has special needs when its used in low temp apps. Your application would be considered high temp. Its all about evap temps not boiling points like the dumb ass mormon thinks.
The King wrote:

Whenever I've used R22 in low temp applications, hell, even in refrigeration medium temp applications I always have to have a defrost system. A lot of the Domino's Pizza stores switched over to R22 in the walk-in coolers some years back and they all have to have defrost systems. I have to rebuild one here soon.
TDD
I've seen R-22 in medium temp coolers, several times. Worked on a few, too.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Comfort cooling isnt med temp. Youre off topic.
Hello I have one question
On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 15:53:04 -0500, The Daring Dufas

Most of the time med temp ref is off cycle defrost. I suppose Dominos wants 34 or cooler? as a target temp so a clock might be needed. In a 36-40F box you shouldnt need anything but off cycle lessen it isnt sized or adjusted right.
The King wrote:

The R22 walk-in coolers come from the factory with defrost timers. In order to get the 33-40 box temps, the evap runs a lot colder and of course the darn door does not stay shut. I like to set them at 35 because of all the meat products they stock and of course it helps keep the food temps where the health dept likes to see them with the door being open so much. I have one at a store I service that was an R12 system originally, it's now running on 416a and keeps on running better than most. It has a three phase semi hermetic compressor, large receiver and pump down control, it's very reliable because it was installed CORRECTLY. The crap I see when some (techs?) throw them in is astounding. Oh darn, there goes my blood pressure.
TDD
On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 22:16:27 -0500, The Daring Dufas

Evaporator temperatures are the same for the application (low - med - high temp) regardless of what ref is used. R 12 med temp evaps run at the same temperatures as an R 22 med temp evap. No need for a defrost clock just because it has R 22 in it. There may be other reasons for a defrost clock but the type of ref isnt one of them.