How do I tell if I have a single or multi stage heat pump?

I want to replace my current thermostat with one that is programmable, but I don't know if my heat pump is a singe stage or multi stage heat pump.
This is all the info I have:
Gibson Split System Heat Pump (electric) Model #JT5BD-024K 2.0 Ton 13 SEER Product Specs: <a href="http://www.norrismechanical.com/Download.aspx?file =\heatpumps\Gibson\TechSpecs\SPLITSYSTEMHEATPUMPS\13SEER\13SEER--JT5BD.pdf">Norris Mechanical</a>
The current thermostat (which I doubt is the orginial) has one setting for cool, and two settings for heat (heat and emergency heat). When I use the heat option, the outside unit kicks on, but when I switch it to emergency heat, the outside unit turns off.
I called Gibson (or rather Nordyne) and they told me I had a single stage heat pump, but I am still skeptical since my air handler kicks off when I switch to emergency heat.
Your opinion is much appreciated! ------------------------------------- Ms Mew
On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 02:23:21 +0000, lady_elizabeth_2002_at_yahoo_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (MsMew) wrote:

    Ask the nice man at Lowes.
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
MsMew had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/hvac/How-do-I-tell-if-I-have-a-single-or-multi-stage-heat-pump-39204-.htm : Perhaps I should clarify one of my previous statements. When I switch the thermostat to emergency heat, the outside unit kicks off, but heat still comes through the vents and warms my house.
Lately when I have it on the regular heat setting, the thermostat will read several degrees cooler than the temperature that is set to, even if it has been set for hours.
I hope this helps, Ms. Mew

href="http://www.norrismechanical.com/Download.aspx?file =\heatpumps\Gibson\TechSpecs\SPLITSYSTEMHEATPUMPS\13SEER\13SEER--JT5BD.pdf">Norris
First, you have to find an hvac tech that can count past "1"..
--
EA

> Ms Mew

That leaves you out on both counts.